Recovery
Posted: 10 October 2008 01:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 31 ]
Top Dawg
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2765
Joined  2007-12-19
BlueBugofJustice - 10 October 2008 12:57 PM

Swede is not from Ramona

Anything east of Lego Land is “Ramona”, just as anything south of Fresno is “L.A.”.

Signature 

M 44yrs 6’2/218

Posted: 10 October 2008 01:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 32 ]
Top Dawg
Total Posts:  2961
Joined  2008-04-08
radiosound - 10 October 2008 12:15 PM

Does anyone else sit up straighter when someone from Ramona plays the “don’t be soft” card?

Sit up straighter?
I jumped down and did 10 burpees on the spot!

smirk

Signature 

28/m/6’2”/215/BF8.9%
CrossFit Birth: April 8, 2008 (BW 245)

“Performance is directly correlated with intensity. Intensity is directly correlated with discomfort.” -Coach Glassman
“Get Comfortable with Uncomfortable.” -Coach OPT

-||||———||||-
“Machines were invented to keep wankers off the barbells.” -Greg Everett

Posted: 10 October 2008 01:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 33 ]
Top Dawg
Total Posts:  2961
Joined  2008-04-08

I understand where SS is coming from with his rant, you can be sure that my kids will know you don’t eat dirt because it tastes bad… not because Mom and Pop tell them it’s bad for them.  At the same time, knowledge is power and the same rule will not apply to the raw chicken that may be sitting on the counter waiting to be prepared for supper. 

Really, I feel that 9.5 hours a night is pretty impossible for most people.  Just because 9.5 hours may be optimal doesn’t mean I’m gonna consider trying to do it consistently.  It does, however, put the <6.5 hours of sleep I got last night in perspective.

Signature 

28/m/6’2”/215/BF8.9%
CrossFit Birth: April 8, 2008 (BW 245)

“Performance is directly correlated with intensity. Intensity is directly correlated with discomfort.” -Coach Glassman
“Get Comfortable with Uncomfortable.” -Coach OPT

-||||———||||-
“Machines were invented to keep wankers off the barbells.” -Greg Everett

Posted: 10 October 2008 04:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 34 ]
Top Dawg
Total Posts:  1121
Joined  2008-09-02

Whenever I get to bed early, I get woken up in the night by kids, bless ‘em. Of course, when I stay up late, I get woken in the night by kids.

Signature 

44M/ 5’7”/ 153 (damn),  Crossfit DOB 07/14/2008

FIN’S UP

Posted: 10 October 2008 07:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 35 ]
Top Dawg
Total Posts:  802
Joined  2006-08-04

HA HA HA…
I love tossing a Flashbang into the Forum every once in a while.
Yeah TP you are right. We use CF for different things and we just want to be good at it. Or as good as we can.
If that’s your goal, go for it and yes use the Forum for inputs, experiences and ideas.
I was looking at it from a different angle, the one of CF being a GP program for work. That;s why we are random etc, right? It just happened to work out for people who don’t use it for that. Cool with me. However it’s when things are being taken too far that I am getting a bit squirely here. Not that anyone was taking it there, but I wanted to input some “Old School” stuff. Not everything we did back in the day was bad.
Therefore the note of dear old Grandpa (he did by the way get up 15 min before he went o bed just so he could mess with Mr Sandman) and the stories about letting kids find out for themselves, within certain perimeters. Empirical lessons are usually not forgotten (and you’ll have the scars to remind you smile

It’s a fine line of how hard to push. If you have a none physical job where you sit around and do your thing, push as hard as you can! If I have a mission that would include a foot insert at high altitude for 15 miles, I might not do Murph the day before, There is a time and a place for everything. Unfortunately someties we get a bit caught up (clock, workout partners, bet’s etc etc) and push too hard. Ins’hallah. However you need to know what you can do, and the way you will find out is by pushing yourself. Yeah things will hurt, you will be uncomfortable, you want a quit and all that good stuff. However upon completion, you will have a new knowledge of how far you can push yourself. Then again, you might not have a need for that and you are happy with getting a better Helen time every other month. That’s fine. We all have different goals and needs, and I beleive that most of us on here agree’s on that.

However every once in a while, I do enjoy stirring things up, make people sit up straighter, and maybe think through things from a different angle.

Now just so you know, San Diego County is waaaayyy different from The Peoples Republic of California, and yes I will drive 2 hrs a day to get to my gym, Brand X! Yes even with “high” gas prices (on a note if you have spent anytime overseas, you wouldn’t be complaining about our gas prices!) The reason why I haven’t moved to Ramona is that I enjoy life on my Island a lot mainly because there is water around….

Ok I hope I have explaned myself a bit, and yes I will continue to toss in bangs just to point out another angle.
And yeah pain is what it is… The question is, how good can you handle it? There are different kinds of pain, I know. I am talking physical pain and your ability to continue to function while in duress. Kind of like stubbing your toe… You know you have .5 sec before it will “hit” your brain…. What do you think during that time…?
Some of us smile and get ready…yeah Baby! ( no I am not crazy, I see it as a challenege. How will I handle it this time? better then last?)
Ok enough disturbing thoughts from here.
And oh by the way I stick to Folgers ‘cause Marla Singer keeps telling me that it sucks he he…
In Sweden we boil the water, toss in a couple of scoops of coffee in our mouths and down the water from the kettle. Builds caracher and kick starts the day.

Signature 

Death is natures way of saying that you failed Selection

Posted: 10 October 2008 08:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 36 ]
Total Posts:  4864
Joined  2004-08-27

Folgers does suck, and you know it. Gevalia, from Sweden, is a lovely coffee. “Peete” is the guy who taught the original Starbucks guys how to roast coffee. And that’s today’s edition of “Coffee Talk”. As far as the original topic, well, my husband and I have the same routine as GD and BBoJ. Work, kids, job, kids, work, job, kids all day. A few minutes of alone time late in the evening. We try to sleep in a little on Sundays. I make sure to take 2 full rest days every week, as per GD, and it seems to do the trick. I get at least 2 PR’s a week in my training, and I’m not falling asleep during the day, so I guess I’m ok. You really have to do what works best for you, your body, and your lifestyle. As Swede was saying, your job, life, etc. are things that can be unpredictable, so you need to be ready for anything, any time. That being said, I do love Yoga, but haven’t found the time for it yet. It’s a great way to relax, stretch and do a little soul searching.

Signature 

I hate burpees
I hate box jumps

Posted: 11 October 2008 06:31 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 37 ]
Total Posts:  13217
Joined  2007-01-30
Super Swede - 10 October 2008 07:02 PM

HA HA HA…
I love tossing a Flashbang into the Forum every once in a while.

Yes, yes you do .  . . .

However it’s when things are being taken too far that I am getting a bit squirely here. Not that anyone was taking it there, but I wanted to input some “Old School” stuff. Not everything we did back in the day was bad.

Actually, 99% of crossfit is old school which is probably my favorite thing about it.  Kind of like “um, this is going to be pretty darn hard”.  I kind of want to joke with people who ask me what I do to stay in shape is “oh, it’d be too hard for you to keep up.”  HA! 

Therefore the note of dear old Grandpa (he did by the way get up 15 min before he went o bed just so he could mess with Mr Sandman)

Nice.  Mine used to blow out the lamp and jump in bed before the light went out . . . .

It’s a fine line of how hard to push. If you have a none physical job where you sit around and do your thing, push as hard as you can! If I have a mission that would include a foot insert at high altitude for 15 miles, I might not do Murph the day before, There is a time and a place for everything. Unfortunately someties we get a bit caught up (clock, workout partners, bet’s etc etc) and push too hard. Ins’hallah. However you need to know what you can do, and the way you will find out is by pushing yourself. Yeah things will hurt, you will be uncomfortable, you want a quit and all that good stuff.

I hear ya mate.  In fact, my usual gauge of workout intensity is how bad I want to quit . . .

In Sweden we boil the water, toss in a couple of scoops of coffee in our mouths and down the water from the kettle. Builds caracher and kick starts the day.

Weak.  Just eat it straight from the can with a spoon.  You can have water after the workout.

grin

Signature 

The common denominator of success—- the secret of success of every man who has ever been successful—- lies in the fact that he formed the habit of doing things that failures don’t like to do.—Albert Grey

“Really Connor? Really?”—Jeff Martin

http://rantopedia.blogspot.com/ (my blog)
http://www.facebook.com/patrick.hoffman1

M-47/5’11”/180lbs

There’s a reason they don’t call it “Fight Gone Good”.

Posted: 11 October 2008 09:56 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 38 ]
Top Dawg
Total Posts:  802
Joined  2006-08-04

Nahh… that boiling water with the coofee makes me wake up faster smile

Signature 

Death is natures way of saying that you failed Selection

Posted: 11 October 2008 12:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 39 ]
Top Dawg
Total Posts:  3096
Joined  2007-03-26
TexasPatrick - 10 October 2008 11:20 AM

Okay, FD, more with the Yoga.  What about it do you think lets you sleep deeper?

With all the fun here, I missed the question. Sorry TP!

My answer: I have no idea ...

Guesses:
—instead of focusing inward on home, family, it makes you focus on the external environment. Makes you stop for a second and hear the crickets (even the one in the living room ...). I find that relaxing.
—the long stretches relax the muscles. I think going to bed feeling stiff, tight, and tense leads to bad sleep
—deep breaths promote relaxation and better health.
—doing my own yoga sequence from a book doesn’t work. To sleep deeply, I have to follow along to a DVD or a podcast. So maybe it’s the music, or the soothing voices.
And, for reference, my yoga practice is about 20-30 minutes - no more than that.

Signature 

“Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ‘Wow - what a Ride!’” -Peter Sage

Posted: 13 October 2008 01:53 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 40 ]
Boxer
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  606
Joined  2007-08-16

I’m with FD on this one. 20 minutes of simple yoga is good for everything - not just sleeping. I haven’t done it in a while but I’m going to start back now….thanks FD.

Signature 

M/36/5’10/#165

Denial of signature
http://www.flickr.com/photos/uberkraaft
http://www.kraaft.com
http://www.twitter.com/uberkraaft

Posted: 13 October 2008 03:11 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 41 ]
Top Dawg
Joined  2007-03-26
kraaft - 13 October 2008 01:53 AM

I’m with FD on this one. 20 minutes of simple yoga is good for everything - not just sleeping. I haven’t done it in a while but I’m going to start back now….thanks FD.

Keep us posted on it every now & then.

Signature 

“Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ‘Wow - what a Ride!’” -Peter Sage

Posted: 14 October 2008 02:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 42 ]
Puppy Dawg
Rank
Total Posts:  13
Joined  2008-09-20

Any recommendations on Yoga DVD’s for beginners?  I’m pretty happy(but still in a stupor) if I get 6 hours of sleep!  My work week is nuts!  Every week is different.  I’ll work an 8 or 12 hour dayshift followed by an 8 hr afternoon shift followed by 2 twelve hr night or day shifts.  I’m usually a zombie by the end of the week.  Add a 1 hr commute and there ya go!  Do you think yoga can help me?  I’m thinking a different job would be WAAAAY better! (or a winning lottery ticket)-apologies for the whining…

Signature 

5’2”/F/120# tongue laugh

Posted: 14 October 2008 03:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 43 ]
Top Dawg
Joined  2007-03-26
Trace - 14 October 2008 02:16 PM

Any recommendations on Yoga DVD’s for beginners? 

As far as any recommendations I can give - I’d be happy to post tomorrow night. I’m whiny and out-of-sorts myself; calling it an early night.

Signature 

Posted: 15 October 2008 04:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 44 ]
Top Dawg
Joined  2007-03-26
Trace - 14 October 2008 02:16 PM

Any recommendations on Yoga DVD’s for beginners? 

Ok, I’m a little more clear-headed tonight. These recommendations are more consumer-accessible yoga routines; they are not into the mysticism and “woo-woo” in some more traditional yoga practices.

My absolute favorite is Peggy Hall’s Yoga for Surfers 1. There is a Post-Surf Session, 20 minutes, all seated, that is great for post-workout stretch and relaxation, as well as quiet time before bed. The cueing and description are designed for athletes, so it’s easy to follow along. And there’s some great surfing footage.

Another favorite of mine is Sage Rountree. She has free, downloadable video podcasts on her website as well as through iTunes. These are also about 15-20 minutes in length, geared towards athletes, but better for post-workout stretch rather than before sleep relaxation. She has some unique athletic adaptations of traditional yoga poses.
http://web.mac.com/sagetree/sagetree/Podcast/Podcast.html

These beginner yoga DVDs can be found “wherever your favorite videos are sold”:
—Crunch workout videos has 2 yoga ones. Candlelight Yoga is pretty popular; there’s another one that I can’t remember the name.
—YogaZone has many; most are 20 minutes and the DVD typically has two different routines. They’re mainly beginner; one instructor shows easier variations. They’re a good place to start.
—Anything by GAIAM / Living Arts I do not consider beginner. Plus they have an unpleasant habit of repackaging workouts under a new name, so you could buy two DVDs and they could end up being the same one.
—Anything with “power” or “flow” or “body makeover” in the title would not be beginner, nor would it be relaxing.

Another very relaxing, muscle de-stress is Kathleen Andersen’s Yoga in the Garden of Serenity. But, it’s pretty long, and very dancer-stretch-oriented. If you’re into that, which obviously I am, then it’s enjoyable. It’s not typical yoga.

If you want traditional, more spiritual, yoga, then that’s a whole different category…

Hope this helps! If you find anything that looks interesting and you have questions, please ask.

-Anita

Signature 

Posted: 16 October 2008 01:43 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 45 ]
Puppy Dawg
Rank
Total Posts:  13
Joined  2008-09-20

Anita-Thanks so much for the yoga info.  I plan to look for one of the DVD’s after work tonight-particularly the Surfer one.  Hope you caught up on your rest!  I’ve had about 8 hrs sleep in the last 2 days due to my LOVELY work schedule(oops! I sense a little whine in there).  I realize that caffeine is a Zone no-no, but coffee’s been my best friend lately!  Thanks again! -Trace

Signature 

5’2”/F/120# tongue laugh

3 of 5