Carb Blocks
Posted: 03 November 2008 01:41 PM   [ Ignore ]
Puppy Dawg
Rank
Total Posts:  12
Joined  2008-07-19

I found that the only thing i dislike about the zone is eating so many carbs. Im not used to eating this many period. So i was reading on the robb wolf FAQ you can move some or most to PWO. That or can replace a single carb block by 3 fat blocks. I am looking to lose weight, how do you guys feel about these methods

Posted: 03 November 2008 02:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  13178
Joined  2007-01-30

FM,

What were your typical carbs? 

TP

Signature 

The common denominator of success—- the secret of success of every man who has ever been successful—- lies in the fact that he formed the habit of doing things that failures don’t like to do.—Albert Grey

“Really Connor? Really?”—Jeff Martin

http://rantopedia.blogspot.com/ (my blog)
http://www.facebook.com/patrick.hoffman1

M-47/5’11”/180lbs

There’s a reason they don’t call it “Fight Gone Good”.

Posted: 03 November 2008 02:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Puppy Dawg
Rank
Joined  2008-07-19

I have been doing the zone normal without any adjustments following only the favorable carbs. They typically are broccoli, green beans, oranges, pears, grapes etc.

Posted: 03 November 2008 02:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Joined  2007-01-30

Okay, so that sounds like you’re doing it right. 

My problem initially was not getting a fruit and vegetable mix could stand.  The reason I asked is because I think almost all of us go through “pile O’Broccoli syndrome” at some point or another where we look at 12 cups of broccoli and say “four blocks?”.  So there’s that mix of high and low density favorable carbs.  But it looks like you got that covered.

You know, if everything else is going well, give it a go and see what happens.  I’m curious as to what you find out.

So, I said all that to say “hmm, don’t really know”

Wasn’t the first time, won’t be the last . . .  cheese

TP

Signature 

The common denominator of success—- the secret of success of every man who has ever been successful—- lies in the fact that he formed the habit of doing things that failures don’t like to do.—Albert Grey

M-47/5’11”/180lbs

Posted: 03 November 2008 02:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Administrator
Total Posts:  9610
Joined  2007-01-08
FireMedic19 - 03 November 2008 01:41 PM

I found that the only thing i dislike about the zone is eating so many carbs. Im not used to eating this many period. So i was reading on the robb wolf FAQ you can move some or most to PWO. That or can replace a single carb block by 3 fat blocks. I am looking to lose weight, how do you guys feel about these methods

Maybe I’m having a blonde day, but what’s PWO?

Signature 

Craig Massey

“The point of CF is to get better at life.  Being unable to workout tomorrow because you were pigheaded today is not in line with our goals.”
Garddawg - 22 March 2009

“CrossFit is not dangerous.
Bad coaching is dangerous, poor movement is dangerous. Ego is dangerous.
CrossFit, properly scaled to the individual is the safest and most efficient program available for strength, conditioning and movement.”
BlueBugofJustice - 18 August 2009

Posted: 03 November 2008 02:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Joined  2007-01-30
Metric - 03 November 2008 02:27 PM
FireMedic19 - 03 November 2008 01:41 PM

Maybe I’m having a blonde day, but what’s PWO?

Hey, I represent that remark! I think it’s post work out . . . but I could be wrong . . .

Signature 

M-47/5’11”/180lbs

Posted: 03 November 2008 02:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Puppy Dawg
Rank
Joined  2008-07-19

yes sorry guys, post workout

Posted: 03 November 2008 02:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Administrator
Joined  2007-01-08

That’s what I thought it would be, but it didn’t make sense to me.

As in. If the amount of carbs is too great, how does eating them post-workout help the situation?

It’s quite possible the Zone carb ratio is too high for you, Robb Wolf finds it is for him.

In what way are the carbs too much?
The sheer volume is overwhelming you?
Or
You’re gaining fat and/or experiencing drops in performance?

The first is just a matter of adjusting your carb sources to the higher density end to reduce the volume. 2 oranges instead of what, 8 heads of iceberg lettuce to get 4 blocks?

The second you’re going to have to experiment with I’m afraid.

Signature 

Craig Massey

“The point of CF is to get better at life.  Being unable to workout tomorrow because you were pigheaded today is not in line with our goals.”
Garddawg - 22 March 2009

CrossFit, properly scaled to the individual is the safest and most efficient program available for strength, conditioning and movement.”

Posted: 03 November 2008 02:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Puppy Dawg
Rank
Joined  2008-07-19

It hasnt been to overwhelming per say, i do feel like on the zone i have no energy. I feel like just laying down all day and have been moody, so i was thinking maybe i should have more fat rather than so many carbs

Posted: 03 November 2008 04:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Top Dawg
Total Posts:  2765
Joined  2007-12-19

this all sounds strange to me, but perhaps it’s just a matter of perspective.  I love those carbs, and really don’t find that I’m maxing out on them at all.

Is your overall block Rx right?  What is it, and how did you come to that number?

Signature 

M 44yrs 6’2/218

Posted: 03 November 2008 04:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Administrator
Joined  2007-01-08

How long have you been Zoning? The first two weeks can be a bit like that as you settle into it.

If it’s been longer than that then you’re probably looking at tinkering with the amount of carbs.

Signature 

Craig Massey

Garddawg - 22 March 2009

Posted: 03 November 2008 05:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Puppy Dawg
Rank
Joined  2008-07-19

i was in it about the middle of the 2nd week when i started feeling like that, and then thats when i started to screw up on the diet. and radiosound i got my block RX by using the lean body mass / whatever and the .7 multiplier lol….i cant remember it exactly but it was on a video of rob wolf talkin about it. it came out to around 16, my LBM was around 150

‹‹ Zone block calculator      Recipes? ››