1 of 3
CF Kids-Advice Please
Posted: 11 November 2008 06:03 PM   [ Ignore ]
Top Dawg
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2765
Joined  2007-12-19

Mikki, Cyndi, Jeff (and anyone else qualified to jump in)-
This request for advice may be as much about parenting in general as it is about CF kids.

I have a fantastic almost 9 year old.  He’s relatively active-swim lessons, tennis lessons, hiking, football & epic wrestling matches with me, runs around like crazy with his buddies on the playground, etc., etc.  He is not afraid to move his body and generally enjoys being physical.

He’s seen me do CF over the last year, and has become very interested.  He says repeatedly that he wants to “do CF” with me.  I’ve brought him home some CF Kids shirts, which he wears with huge pride.  So, I’ve said “let’s work on a couple of the basics”.  I’ve shown him gently, slowly how to do a squat and how to do situps on my abmat.  So far, so good-he’s been receptive.

However, I’ve twice said “let’s do a little workout.  no big deal-we’ll have fun with it.”  First time was going to be “let’s run to that tree and back and do 5 squats.  we’ll do it 3 times.”  Next time was “let’s run around the block and then do 5 squats.  we’ll see how fast we can do it.  I’ll do it with you.”  Within 30 seconds of both attempts he absolutely lost it: tears, “it hurts so much” “I can’t do it” “it hurts to breathe”, etc.  A complete disaster.

I’ve tried to keep it light, make it a game, but as soon as there is some element of structure or timing, he absolutely falls apart.  I’m not sure if he’s afraid of competition (even with himself), or if he just isn’t used to being in physical discomfort.

I’m stuck.  Part of me wants to say “get back on the bar”, but that’s not what works with this kid.  How do you manage kids in the class that are really resistant?  Have you had kids do this with you?  How have you responded?

Thank you so much in advance for any insight or suggestions you can provide.  I was so inspired watching those little monkeys run around BrandX-I’ve seen what is possible.

Signature 

M 44yrs 6’2/218

Posted: 11 November 2008 06:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
Total Posts:  14223
Joined  2004-06-18

Radiosound,
I ran across this website the other day, it might be some of some help.  http://www.CrossFitKids.com  In all seriousness at the kids cert we cover this in depth. The clock can be an enemy of both technique and fun for kids.  We rarely emphasize it in the young kids classes.  Did you see the vid on the journal, Introductory lecture at the Crossfit Kids cert ?  http://journal.crossfit.com/kids/

Signature 

All of life’s problems can be solved by heavy deadlifts.

Follow us on Twitter:
@TheBrandXMethod
https://twitter.com/TheBrandXMethod

M/54/5’11”/190

Posted: 11 November 2008 09:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
Total Posts:  5197
Joined  2004-06-22

It is definately different with different ages but…
for your son’s age group
We often say AMRAP in a given time, and we don’t give the time.
We observe what is happening how they are performing and call it when they are “done”
Some intense WODs can be just 4-7 minutes
then we are on to a very active game, where they are doing CF movements
They leave with a smile
it is CF + Fun ( as defined by a kid)

Signature 

“No man who refuses to bear arms in defense of his nation can give a sound reason why he should be allowed to live in a free country”  T. Roosevelt

“The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who are not.”  Thomas Jefferson”

“History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or the timid” - Gen Eisenhower.

Posted: 11 November 2008 10:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Total Posts:  8618
Joined  2004-07-08

Radio, take a sport he likes, ie football and design a workout with this. Throw passes to him, for every pass he drops he does squats or whatever. Take away the time aspect of the workout right now. Brind it back later when he is ready.

Signature 

In God we Trust all others we monitor

Posted: 12 November 2008 06:48 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Top Dawg
Total Posts:  3096
Joined  2007-03-26

RS, As someone putting all the Kids Cert info into practice, I’ll also attest to the success of it. We had the luxury of running “demo” classes, and one day we did do a WOD “for time”, like the adults. We saw the same thing your son is doing: children felt tired, they wanted to quit, they were “bored”. In our “real” classes, we don’t run the WOD for time. It’s more task-oriented than time-oriented. We have younger children than your son, but if they want to stop and play with their shoestrings, that’s fine. Take a water break, great. Go hug their mom - sure. They join right back in with the group. It’s much more fun than racing to get it done as quickly as possible. We’re still learning how much kids can handle, and will end the WOD when it looks like they’re physically or mentally tired of it.

We have a tradition of playing football after Thanksgiving dinner. Maybe I’ll borrow Big D’s idea and come up with something for my nieces and nephews!

Signature 

“Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ‘Wow - what a Ride!’” -Peter Sage

Posted: 12 November 2008 10:49 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Administrator
Total Posts:  9932
Joined  2007-01-08
FirmDancer - 12 November 2008 06:48 AM

We have a tradition of playing football after Thanksgiving dinner. Maybe I’ll borrow Big D’s idea and come up with something for my nieces and nephews!

The kids are going to ask that Aunty FirmDancer stay away next year and Aunty Anita come back. grin

Signature 

Craig Massey

“The point of CF is to get better at life.  Being unable to workout tomorrow because you were pigheaded today is not in line with our goals.”
Garddawg - 22 March 2009

“CrossFit is not dangerous.
Bad coaching is dangerous, poor movement is dangerous. Ego is dangerous.
CrossFit, properly scaled to the individual is the safest and most efficient program available for strength, conditioning and movement.”
BlueBugofJustice - 18 August 2009

Posted: 12 November 2008 11:16 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Top Dawg
Joined  2007-03-26
Metric - 12 November 2008 10:49 AM
FirmDancer - 12 November 2008 06:48 AM

The kids are going to ask that Aunty FirmDancer stay away next year and Aunty Anita come back. grin

Actually, I’m the “fun” aunt - I’m the one who starts the silly stuff, gets all the kids wound up, and then turns them over to the parents and say “they’re all yours! bye!”    wink  Usually its my brothers and sisters who get miffed with me, the kids love it. This time, though, they may be happy if I have something active and constructive for the kids to do.

Signature 

“Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ‘Wow - what a Ride!’” -Peter Sage

Posted: 12 November 2008 11:16 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Administrator
Joined  2004-06-18

RS
The video on the CF Journal site is a great place to start this discussion from. If you haven’t watched them yet, do and then come back here and discuss. Your question really is the kernal of why what we do works.

Signature 

Follow us on Twitter:
@TheBrandXMethod

M/54/5’11”/190

Posted: 12 November 2008 12:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Top Dawg
Total Posts:  2765
Joined  2007-12-19
Garddawg - 12 November 2008 11:16 AM

RS
The video on the CF Journal site is a great place to start this discussion from. If you haven’t watched them yet, do and then come back here and discuss. Your question really is the kernal of why what we do works.

Embarrassed to admit I hadn’t watched the whole thing until this morning.  It’s good stuff.  (You are a very effective speaker, by the way.  Take that as a compliment from someone who does it for a living.)

But my struggle is the gap between the theory and my reality.  I have a dude who is very competition phobic (and by that I mean the competition externally and internally-‘can I make myself improve in something I don’t excel at?’) and who really dislikes discomfort.  Your story of the girl and the pullups-my son probably would have bailed on trying after the first couple of days because he would be so discouraged with himself.  I think I need to set the bar so it’s both challenging and achievable with some effort, and then raise it from there.

I need to give long thought on how to incorporate the ‘fun’ into this.  I think WODs are fun.  But to most folks walking by an open door peering in on FGB-it would look like a torture chamber.  And it took me a good 6 months before I understood why and how they were fun.  I need to figure out how to do that with my son.

So, time to subscribe to CF Kids and get to those videos.

Thanks all for your thoughtful responses.

Signature 

M 44yrs 6’2/218

Posted: 12 November 2008 03:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Administrator
Joined  2004-06-18

RS,
The Magazine is good.  Getting better everytime.  The last year has been absolutely incredible (more Cyndi, more Mikki, less Jeff ). wink I think Craig and Anita would vouch for the cert as well as being well worth the time and expense.  All that aside the idea is to pair fun and exercise.  Connor has always been at my side when I worked out.  Used to take him in a little carry all to the Karate school and when I ran I pushed him in a stroller.  As he grew up he wanted to do stuff with me.  I remember starting him in karate and the instructor pulled me aside and told me we should find something else for Connor to do as he was the worst student he had ever seen and had no talent.  We didn’t care, Connor loved karate so we just kept taking him.  He loved to run and as soon as he was old enough didn’t want to go in the stroller anymore.  He wanted to run.  So we would go out the door to run.  About a 1/2 mile in he would say he was tired and want to stop.  So we would stop and walk. 
Eventually I figured out he just wanted to do what I was doing.  Didn’t matter that he wasn’t good at it or it interrupted my workout.  It was fun for him.  5 minutes of running through the gym making up his own exercises and workouts was enough.  Eventually he took his black belt test in front of his former teacher.  The teacher said he had never seen a kid do the things Connor was doing, and of course y’all know what he’s like in CF. 

Our interpretation of fun is not a kids.  Although we probably would be a lot better off if it were.

Signature 

Follow us on Twitter:
@TheBrandXMethod

M/54/5’11”/190

Posted: 12 November 2008 03:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Administrator
Total Posts:  9932
Joined  2007-01-08
Garddawg - 12 November 2008 03:22 PM

I think Craig and Anita would vouch for the cert as well as being well worth the time and expense.

Yes.

Signature 

Craig Massey

“The point of CF is to get better at life.  Being unable to workout tomorrow because you were pigheaded today is not in line with our goals.”
Garddawg - 22 March 2009

“CrossFit is not dangerous.
Bad coaching is dangerous, poor movement is dangerous. Ego is dangerous.
CrossFit, properly scaled to the individual is the safest and most efficient program available for strength, conditioning and movement.”
BlueBugofJustice - 18 August 2009

Posted: 13 November 2008 01:36 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Top Dawg
Joined  2007-03-26

Before I read the entire thread, my response was going to be:

radiosound - 12 November 2008 12:20 PM

I need to give long thought on how to incorporate the ‘fun’ into this.  I think WODs are fun.  But to most folks walking by an open door peering in on FGB-it would look like a torture chamber.  And it took me a good 6 months before I understood why and how they were fun.  I need to figure out how to do that with my son.

Get to a Kids Cert!

RS - It’s worth every dollar and more. You’ll learn why this works, get lots of examples to use, see it in action, and even improve your own technique - it’s a great next step to your own Level 1 Cert.

Signature 

Posted: 13 November 2008 03:42 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Top Dawg
Total Posts:  3361
Joined  2006-02-17
Garddawg - 12 November 2008 03:22 PM

He loved to run and as soon as he was old enough didn’t want to go in the stroller anymore.  He wanted to run.  So we would go out the door to run.  About a 1/2 mile in he would say he was tired and want to stop.  So we would stop and walk. 

So that’s where you got it from wink

Signature 

Take a deep breath ... Now do it again!
http://www.crossfitnortheastengland.com

BX Coaching Gold - “your doing all the right stuff its just coming out all wrong. “
CFSB Dummie’s Playground

Posted: 13 November 2008 11:08 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Top Dawg
Total Posts:  2570
Joined  2005-10-27

I have two very different children. One will usually push through the hard stuff just because it’s there, it’s competitive and it’s been modeled. The other is not competitive, is more self critical and looks at the world in a VERY different way. Yesterday, the two of them ran a cross country race. One of them, running this type of race for the first time, pushed to the point that pukie almost came knocking and finished solidly in the middle of the pack. The other, running for the second time, just wanted to do better than last year. The run was slower and more methodical, but at the end the finishing position had improved by 4 places and NO WALKING (the major goal) had taken place during the entire race. Both were equally proud of their accomplishments and couldn’t wait to call their dad at work to talk about it. Notably, they both went into their individual races with some nervous energy but fully confident they would achieve their goals. (Have you read our article in the CrossFit Journal about how CF is changing the way our kids perceive themselves and challenges? “CrossFit Kids: Forging Future Achievers,” is available for free download on the CFJournal website. We talk about this at the CrossFit Kids certs).

My point is, you have to find what appeals to your child and give it to them. Given your description of your child, I have some ideas that I’ll pm to you in the next few day. I’d like a little time to fine tune them. The bottom line is, everyone has a hook. There is a physiological reason that our kids are going to continue to exercise for life. At the CFK certs, we talk about the pairing in the brain of fun and exercise. It’s not just a thought process, it’s biology. We have to facilitate those neurological changes. Also, the variety we provide and the inclusion of all types of learning modalities (we talk about this at the certs too) means we are able to appeal to pretty much all the kids. Mikki and I have not really lost kids from our classes due to their disinterest. Kids drop out due to parental choice and/or logistics. That speaks volumes for how effective our techniques are.

Posted: 13 November 2008 11:25 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Administrator
Joined  2004-06-18

I only loose kids cause they hate me.

Signature 

Follow us on Twitter:
@TheBrandXMethod

M/54/5’11”/190

Posted: 13 November 2008 12:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Top Dawg
Total Posts:  2570
Joined  2005-10-27

and your adult clients?

1 of 3