In God we Trust all others we monitor

Posted: 23 December 2008 02:49 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 32 ]
Top Dawg
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3096
Joined  2007-03-26

That’s awesome!

Signature 

“Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ‘Wow - what a Ride!’” -Peter Sage

Posted: 23 December 2008 08:42 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 33 ]
Top Dawg
Total Posts:  916
Joined  2005-08-25

Great to hear and love the picture!!

Signature 

Ability is what you’re capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it

Posted: 23 December 2008 08:53 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 34 ]
Top Dawg
Total Posts:  2570
Joined  2005-10-27

He will always remember the fun, not the sweat. Good job, RS! Keep us posted on how the exercise and the Rugby go.

Posted: 04 January 2009 10:45 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 35 ]
Boxer
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  786
Joined  2008-08-27

This is great advice!  Although I don’t have kids of my own, I teach and I coach a Special Olympics team of children who have Downs Syndrome and Autism.  (You think you have reluctant athletes?)  I can definitely use these tips.  I try to give them options or choices in their workouts so that they feel like they are in control and not being forced into exercising.  They all try so hard and gain such confidence in the little things like winning a race, gaining in their broad jumps, or learning how to jump rope (think small victories).  I try to vary the movements to accomodate short attention spans so I could use some more simple movements to do with them.

Signature 

F 28 years/5’8”/22 weeks, Due May 8th

CrossFit Binghamton

Posted: 04 January 2009 03:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 36 ]
Boxer
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  601
Joined  2008-03-24

RS, I have a 5, 7 and 8 year old. I think having more than 1 kid around is helpful. I have my kids race each other. Running, backward running, galloping, skipping. They make it a fun compition. So far there has not been any poor sports, though there is a little cheating. I also have the neighborhood kids coming by and joining in. Broadjumps, hanging for time from the pullup bar, jumping pullups. (No circus tricks) Point is, maybe a friend or 2 joining in and playing would help. Dad time is cool but kid time is also fun to mix things up.

Signature 

43/m/6’4”/225#

You decide your own level of involvement. Tyler Durden

It’s a good thing misery loves company or I would be here all by myself.  Brooks Buford

Posted: 04 April 2009 09:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 37 ]
Top Dawg
Total Posts:  2765
Joined  2007-12-19

Hello Mikki and Go_I, and everyone else that offered great advice-here’s an update: My son has been very interested in watching the garage gym come together, and I’ve happily let him monkey around with the parallettes, rings, medicine ball, etc.  I have absolutely stopped pushing it.

Out of the blue several weeks ago (after watching the mainsite CF Kids video) he asked me for a “W.O.N” (workout of the night).  I gave him a little obstacle course-no timers per your recommendation.  Since then, he has consistently asked for a “W.O.N.” and has also started to ask about lifting weights.  Doing my very best to maintain my composure and cool, I set him up with obstacle courses around the front yard/garage/block involving sprints, squats, hops, tennis balls thrown to a target, etc.  He eats them up.  He even designed one for his buddies yesterday involving a box jump, trampoline and bear crawls.

We did our first deadlifting the other night (with a closet pole):

3413880100_2cea470e09_m.jpg

So, slow and steady, keeping it fun, supervising closely and safety first.  We’re having a blast.  Thanks again so much for your advice.

And p.s. yes that’s a CrossFit Kids/BrandX shirt.

Signature 

M 44yrs 6’2/218

Posted: 04 April 2009 10:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 38 ]
Administrator
Total Posts:  9891
Joined  2007-01-08

Nice deadlifts RS junior.

Better than your old man’s pull-ups. wink

Signature 

Craig Massey

“The point of CF is to get better at life.  Being unable to workout tomorrow because you were pigheaded today is not in line with our goals.”
Garddawg - 22 March 2009

“CrossFit is not dangerous.
Bad coaching is dangerous, poor movement is dangerous. Ego is dangerous.
CrossFit, properly scaled to the individual is the safest and most efficient program available for strength, conditioning and movement.”
BlueBugofJustice - 18 August 2009

Posted: 04 April 2009 10:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 39 ]
Total Posts:  4864
Joined  2004-08-27

Nice! Keep keeping your composure. Looks like he’s more interested if you “don’t care” if he’s interested.  wink  Nice work!

Signature 

I hate burpees
I hate box jumps

Posted: 08 April 2009 05:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 40 ]
Top Dawg
Total Posts:  2570
Joined  2005-10-27

RS, Father of the Year!!! That is fantastic. Keep us posted. It makes me so happy to hear your news. cheese

Posted: 08 April 2009 09:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 41 ]
Total Posts:  8601
Joined  2004-07-08

RS that is great news. I’m sure down deep inside you are just jumping for joy. Patience will pay off!

Signature 

In God we Trust all others we monitor

Posted: 27 July 2009 07:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 42 ]
Administrator
Total Posts:  5197
Joined  2004-06-22

RS
How did I miss this until now ?  Is he still enthusiastic ? The pictures are wonderful.
I likt the “WON” very original.
Recently went to “Toys Is Us” with my 3 year old great niece.
Their versions of things are better than ours most of the time.

Signature 

“No man who refuses to bear arms in defense of his nation can give a sound reason why he should be allowed to live in a free country”  T. Roosevelt

“The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who are not.”  Thomas Jefferson”

“History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or the timid” - Gen Eisenhower.

Posted: 20 September 2009 03:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 43 ]
Stray Dawg
RankRank
Total Posts:  19
Joined  2009-09-20
Garddawg - 12 November 2008 03:22 PM

RS,
The Magazine is good.  Getting better everytime.  The last year has been absolutely incredible (more Cyndi, more Mikki, less Jeff ). wink I think Craig and Anita would vouch for the cert as well as being well worth the time and expense.  All that aside the idea is to pair fun and exercise.  Connor has always been at my side when I worked out.  Used to take him in a little carry all to the Karate school and when I ran I pushed him in a stroller.  As he grew up he wanted to do stuff with me.  I remember starting him in karate and the instructor pulled me aside and told me we should find something else for Connor to do as he was the worst student he had ever seen and had no talent.  We didn’t care, Connor loved karate so we just kept taking him.  He loved to run and as soon as he was old enough didn’t want to go in the stroller anymore.  He wanted to run.  So we would go out the door to run.  About a 1/2 mile in he would say he was tired and want to stop.  So we would stop and walk. 
Eventually I figured out he just wanted to do what I was doing.  Didn’t matter that he wasn’t good at it or it interrupted my workout.  It was fun for him.  5 minutes of running through the gym making up his own exercises and workouts was enough.  Eventually he took his black belt test in front of his former teacher.  The teacher said he had never seen a kid do the things Connor was doing, and of course y’all know what he’s like in CF. 

Our interpretation of fun is not a kids.  Although we probably would be a lot better off if it were.

This story is very inspirational!

Signature 

“Pain is temporary. It may last a minute, or an hour, or a day, or a year, but eventually it will subside and something else will take its place. If I quit, however, it lasts forever.”
Lance Armstrong

Posted: 07 October 2009 07:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 44 ]
Administrator
Total Posts:  5197
Joined  2004-06-22

How did rugby go ? What about the summer ?
Is he still intersted in the garage gym ?
Need any fun ideas ?... I have more than I can contain..

Signature 

“No man who refuses to bear arms in defense of his nation can give a sound reason why he should be allowed to live in a free country”  T. Roosevelt

“The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who are not.”  Thomas Jefferson”

“History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or the timid” - Gen Eisenhower.

Posted: 07 October 2009 09:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 45 ]
Stray Dawg
RankRank
Total Posts:  29
Joined  2009-10-01

Way Cool Radio….  I have similar problems when I try to instruct my 8 yo daughter, though she seems to listen more to the instructors at my local box.

Signature 

There is no magic pill.

3 of 3