1 of 2
Jumprope
Posted: 06 February 2009 02:29 PM   [ Ignore ]
Pack Member
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  120
Joined  2009-01-01

Not sure if this is the right place for this question, but not sure where else to ask it.

I had a good jumprope that broke so I bought another off amazon.com that is made of pvc material.  The problem is it is so slooow.  Maybe I’m just not good at jumprope, but I have to really work hard to make this one go fast for double unders.  I did get 24 double unders in a row the other day, but this rope also gets tangled up and hits my forearm.  I usually can only get 7-10 double unders in a row.  I want a good rope!!

So, what jumprope is the best one to get so I can do double unders?

Signature 

M/37/172/5’9”

Posted: 06 February 2009 05:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Top Dawg
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2765
Joined  2007-12-19

Either this, or its less expensive sibling.

Signature 

M 44yrs 6’2/218

Posted: 06 February 2009 05:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Top Dawg
Total Posts:  2217
Joined  2007-05-06

never had a chance to try a buddy lee… but

I prefer the 9’ speed rope from power max.
http://www.roguefitness.com/store/product290.html

we have lots of these at our gym too.. but they are too light for my taste.
http://www.roguefitness.com/store/product372.html

Posted: 06 February 2009 06:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Top Dawg
Joined  2007-12-19
joelthemole - 06 February 2009 05:46 PM

never had a chance to try a buddy lee… but

I prefer the 9’ speed rope from power max.
http://www.roguefitness.com/store/product290.html

If I’m not mistaken, you can’t adjust the power max for your height.  The Buddy Lee’s are customizable to your height.  And once you’ve seen a Buddy Lee video-is it really possible to buy anything else?  Hell-I’m thinking about investing in a Buddy Lee jumpsuit.

Signature 

M 44yrs 6’2/218

Posted: 06 February 2009 07:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Pack Member
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-01-01

When I saw the power max was a steel cable I got interested, but I wonder if you can adjust the length?  I’m 5’9”, and I like to put the ropes at 8.5 feet, so adjusting is very important to me.

Radio… which one of the buddy lees do you use?

Signature 

M/37/172/5’9”

Posted: 06 February 2009 09:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Top Dawg
Joined  2007-12-19
Theo H - 06 February 2009 07:14 PM

When I saw the power max was a steel cable I got interested, but I wonder if you can adjust the length?  I’m 5’9”, and I like to put the ropes at 8.5 feet, so adjusting is very important to me.

Radio… which one of the buddy lees do you use?

The cheaper one (though $30 isn’t that cheap).  I’ve had mine for a little over a year, and just broke the cord the other day.  Ordered a new one for $5.  Net: if you jump with it on cement/sidewalks/driveways it shortens the life span. 

I really like it, and have found that many affiliates go with it. 

It’s all about getting it to the right height.  If/when you buy it let me know if the directions don’t make sense.

Cheers.

Signature 

M 44yrs 6’2/218

Posted: 07 February 2009 01:59 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Boxer
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  601
Joined  2008-03-24

RS, How do you store your Bubby Lee ? I have mine kind of coiled in my gym bag. It never seems to totally straight out and is giving me trouble. Plus it’s easy to blame my buddy for my sucky jumping.

Nappy

Signature 

43/m/6’4”/225#

You decide your own level of involvement. Tyler Durden

It’s a good thing misery loves company or I would be here all by myself.  Brooks Buford

Posted: 07 February 2009 04:24 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Top Dawg
Total Posts:  3096
Joined  2007-03-26
Nappy5727 - 07 February 2009 01:59 AM

RS, How do you store your Bubby Lee ? I have mine kind of coiled in my gym bag. It never seems to totally straight out and is giving me trouble. Plus it’s easy to blame my buddy for my sucky jumping.

Nappy

Nappy - I store mine in my gym bag too. To get the wrinkles out, hold one end in each hand with the rope under your shoe and slide it back & forth with a little bit of tension. That irons out the kinks.

Signature 

“Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ‘Wow - what a Ride!’” -Peter Sage

Posted: 07 February 2009 06:42 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Boxer
Joined  2008-03-24

Thanks FD. I guess as long as you hold onto the rope and not the handles that should work. I’ll give it a shot. Now what will I blame my sucky jumping on ?

Signature 

43/m/6’4”/225#

It’s a good thing misery loves company or I would be here all by myself.  Brooks Buford

Posted: 07 February 2009 09:10 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Top Dawg
Joined  2007-12-19
Nappy5727 - 07 February 2009 06:42 AM

Now what will I blame my sucky jumping on ?

Cry me a river there, Nappy.  LOL Weren’t you cranking out 30+ at one point?

Signature 

M 44yrs 6’2/218

Posted: 07 February 2009 01:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Boxer
Joined  2008-03-24

I can crank out about 100 singles in 1 shot. The extra fast swing for the DU’s has my rope twistin. I still am not coordinated enough to tell if i’m doing a DU or not. Jump up, swing the rope, look in the mirror, listen to the rope, try to count the swing not the jump, watch hand position. rinse, lather, repeat multiple times in a split second. To much going on for my feeble mind. I try, believe me I try, I just don’t know if i’m doing them or not.

Signature 

43/m/6’4”/225#

Posted: 07 February 2009 03:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Top Dawg
Total Posts:  2643
Joined  2008-08-16
radiosound - 06 February 2009 09:06 PM

Net: if you jump with it on cement/sidewalks/driveways it shortens the life span.

I’ve heart Buddy Lee advising strongly against jumping on cement. Personally, I find that high impact stuff done on cement or sidewalks is lethal to my knees…

Signature 

“Part of the fun is that frisson of terror as you check to see what the WOD is for the day.” Metric

“I did a 6:00 AM WOD the other day - Fight Gone Bad. When I saw it on the gym whiteboard I thought “you’ve got to be kidding”. It turned out to be fantastic. I spent the rest of the day knowing that I had slayed a dragon.” Radiosound

“Scale appropriately and warm up well and the most dangerous thing you’ll do today is drive to work.” TexasPatrick

M/44/5’10”/75kg

Posted: 07 February 2009 05:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Top Dawg
Total Posts:  1391
Joined  2006-01-31

We don’t always have the option of jumping on nice, springy wood.  If the high impact stuff is doing some significant damage to your knees, you may need to take a step back and evaluate how you are either landing, rebounding, or performing the movement(s) altogether.  You may be inhibiting the use of natural shock absorbers in your legs and midline.

Posted: 07 February 2009 05:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Pack Member
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-01-01

I have to jump on concrete I guess, I don’t really have anywhere else to do it with 8’ ceilings in the house.  I thought about setting a pieces of real smooth plyboard down and that shouldn’t tear up my soon to order Buddy Lee ‘have you doing double unders in no time’ jump rope.  At least not as fast as the concrete I’m currently jumping on. 

Btw, I got 41 double unders in a row today!  New high for me.

Signature 

M/37/172/5’9”

Posted: 07 February 2009 06:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Top Dawg
Total Posts:  2643
Joined  2008-08-16
gimpy - 07 February 2009 05:35 PM

We don’t always have the option of jumping on nice, springy wood.  If the high impact stuff is doing some significant damage to your knees, you may need to take a step back and evaluate how you are either landing, rebounding, or performing the movement(s) altogether.  You may be inhibiting the use of natural shock absorbers in your legs and midline.

Thanks for the input gimpy. I really should qualify my previous post: before starting with CF I’d been suffering from bad knees for about 15 years. The last time I ran must have been more than 10 years ago. I can’t remember the last time I played football (you might call it soccer). Since starting CF the knee problems have disappeared. Yesterday I pr’d on Nicole, and the runs were all on asphalt. Never in my life did I do a timed 5 K, now I’ve got a sub 22 min pr, and I’m sure I can and will improve on that. I haven’t done any rope skipping on cement, maybe I should try it out just to be able to compare with my pre-CF experiences.

Thanks for making me think, which is what I should have done before making my previous post.

Signature 

“Part of the fun is that frisson of terror as you check to see what the WOD is for the day.” Metric

“I did a 6:00 AM WOD the other day - Fight Gone Bad. When I saw it on the gym whiteboard I thought “you’ve got to be kidding”. It turned out to be fantastic. I spent the rest of the day knowing that I had slayed a dragon.” Radiosound

“Scale appropriately and warm up well and the most dangerous thing you’ll do today is drive to work.” TexasPatrick

M/44/5’10”/75kg

Posted: 13 February 2009 08:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Pack Member
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-01-01

Got me a buddy lee jump rope now, oh man does that thing hurt to get hit by. OUCH! Red whelps on my legs.

Signature 

M/37/172/5’9”

1 of 2

‹‹ Road Rash Squat      Weight Rack ››