1 of 4
Diet.
Posted: 16 April 2005 06:24 AM   [ Ignore ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  14101
Joined  2004-06-18

Okay last night I talked about diet.  I’m interested in what you think I meant, and how diet plays into your life.

Signature 

All of life’s problems can be solved by heavy deadlifts.

M/54/5’11”/190

Posted: 16 April 2005 07:17 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
Total Posts:  5197
Joined  2004-06-22

Health, performance, longevity.

Signature 

“No man who refuses to bear arms in defense of his nation can give a sound reason why he should be allowed to live in a free country”  T. Roosevelt

“The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who are not.”  Thomas Jefferson”

“History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or the timid” - Gen Eisenhower.

Posted: 18 April 2005 05:36 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Total Posts:  4864
Joined  2004-08-27

If you eat pizza right before CrossFit, you WILL be sorry!

Seriously, You can really tell you’re eating healthy by your performance. When I finish a workout feeling like I could do more, I know I fed my body well.

If you’re going to put forth the effort to bust your butt doing CrossFit, then your diet has to coincide with your exercise. There’s no point in working out if you’re going to continue to eat crap food every day.

Signature 

I hate burpees
I hate box jumps

Posted: 18 April 2005 06:14 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
Joined  2004-06-22

crap food :oops:

Signature 

“No man who refuses to bear arms in defense of his nation can give a sound reason why he should be allowed to live in a free country”  T. Roosevelt

“The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who are not.”  Thomas Jefferson”

“History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or the timid” - Gen Eisenhower.

Posted: 18 April 2005 08:58 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Total Posts:  8569
Joined  2004-07-08

IM NOT THE BEST AT IT BUT, I LOOK AT DIET AS PUTTING THE RIGHT FUEL IN YOUR MOTOR (BODY) IF YOU FILL UP WITH FUEL THAT IS FULL OF ADDITIVES YOUR CAR RUNS LIKE SH…..! SO WHY WOULDN’T YOUR BODY???? IM GETTIN IT.

Signature 

In God we Trust all others we monitor

Posted: 18 April 2005 03:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Big Dawg
RankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  472
Joined  2004-08-24

Diet’s suck. Best to just eat the good stuff to the point where you can smell the salt while walking down the chip aisle in Stater Bros. Anyone have a simiilar experience?

Signature 

If it looks like a bear…and grumbles like a bear…it must be a BEAR!

Posted: 18 April 2005 04:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Terrier
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  57
Joined  2004-06-20

The word ‘diet’ is such warped word.  Everyone is ‘on a diet’ when all a diet is, is what you eat.  On that note my diet could be much better, but at least i now occasionally can eat vegetables.

Signature 

Jesus said love one another. He didn’t say love the whole world.
Mother Teresa

Posted: 19 April 2005 03:24 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Top Dawg
Total Posts:  7683
Joined  2004-08-09

Diet is a four letter word. Fuel is a good way to look at food. Do you want the engine running on crap or on the good stuff?

But, changes I make to my eating habits have to be motivated by something other than what’s good for me, because many a time I have looked at something and thought “That’s not good for me” and then ate it. I’m not sure I have found a hundred percent motivation to eat better. It’s really just a matter of doing it but I am not all the way there yet.

Two things I have noticed in my habits - meat looks REALLY good now. When I go to the cafeteria, I am not trolling the cookie aisle or the dessert refrigerator. Well, sometimes I do drool over the fruit tarts.

I’m trolling for protein. It’s not even a question any more it’s just what I crave. The meals come with side dishes. I often choose a starchy side and then eat maybe 2 or three bites and toss the rest after I finish the meat. Last week I asked for an extra meat portion! LOL. Cost me 5 bucks extra. Won’t be doing that again.

Next step in my plan is to start choosing the green veggies instead of the carbs.

Signature 

We have too many heroes lost and not enough workout days to commemorate them. I think it’s fitting to always think of the men and women in service, whether military or peace officers and public safety, as we do our workouts. A bit of motivation to throw a little of our sweat and maybe a drop of blood on the floor in their honor.

http://laurarcrossfit.blogspot.com

There is no substitute for good coaching.

Posted: 19 April 2005 03:28 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Administrator
Joined  2004-06-22

You are right Laura It seems that is kind of rolls on itself- you are
wanting/needing healthier foods to fuel a healthy lifestyle.  I find that
I crave better foods all the time. Also I know how bad I feel when i go off dramatically, a big bowl of pasta or real sugar… makes me feel so badly afterward that it is just not worth it !

Signature 

Posted: 19 April 2005 03:47 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Administrator
Joined  2004-06-18

Couple of interesting questions.

Can a person who is overweight be fit?

Why is it so hard to eat right?

Signature 

M/54/5’11”/190

Posted: 19 April 2005 04:52 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Top Dawg
Joined  2004-08-09

1) Fit is relative. (IMO)

A person who is overweight (me, for instance) can be FITTER than they were when they weighed less (me, in high school, for instance).

2) Why is is hard to do anything? I don’t know if there is an answer to that. The thing we want *right now* is usually more appealing than the effect of not having that thing because the benefit is usually not immediate. That’s about as close as I can come to an explanation.

Signature 

We have too many heroes lost and not enough workout days to commemorate them. I think it’s fitting to always think of the men and women in service, whether military or peace officers and public safety, as we do our workouts. A bit of motivation to throw a little of our sweat and maybe a drop of blood on the floor in their honor.

Posted: 19 April 2005 04:58 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Boxer
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  689
Joined  2004-09-18

Why is it so hard to eat right?
  I believe that it isn’t hard at all…people just make it that way because they are lazy and undisciplined…It’s not like grocery stores stock nothing but bad food….and it used to be discouraging when you were hungry and you wanted to eat and all there was at the time was a fast food joint….but even now they all have something healthy to eat….

Can a person who is overweight be fit?
  Well I think that depends on what you think overweight is…A good example of an overweight person who is fit could be Sumo Wrestlers…yeah they may not have the stamina and endurance and speed of people who weigh less than them….but they still workout and they eat very healthy portions…Large portions but very healthy none the less.  Powerlifters are another example….you look at a guy on the street and think man that guy is fat….look at the gut on that guy….then One day you go into a gym and see him powerlifting 500 lbs over his head or whatever….your perception changes cause you’re like WOW…that guy is fit….of course then you can ask yourself what being fit is? and there is plenty of debate on that question…I guess it’s just your perception of such questions…

Signature 

To master others is strength; to master yourself is true power.
              Lao Tzu

Posted: 19 April 2005 04:58 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Administrator
Joined  2004-06-18

That’s a good start Laura, but I think there is still more to those questions.

Signature 

M/54/5’11”/190

Posted: 19 April 2005 05:35 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Total Posts:  4864
Joined  2004-08-27

Can a person who is overweight be fit? Absolutely. I’m a prime example. I’m still overweight, but I could outdo any of the kids I work with in a CrossFit workout, and they all weigh far less than me. And some of them even go to the (whisper) gym!

Why is it so hard to eat right? Because we are a society of convenience and most convenient food is bad for you. Sugar is more addictive than Heroin (proven fact) and everything has sugar in it. Most people have very little will power, because it’s HARD to deny yourself something. This is an instant gratification world we live in, and people think they deserve to have whatever they want whenever they want it. They’ll worry about the consequences later. When they’re old and broken and it’s too late.

Signature 

I hate burpees
I hate box jumps

Posted: 19 April 2005 05:49 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Top Dawg
Joined  2004-08-09

I’m sure there’s more…most of it will come out as excuses from me.  :oops:

Rogue Dawg lays it on the line by saying folks are lazy, but then you’d have to concede that eating healthy takes an effort, ie is harder than eating poorly, and that means you can’t say it’s not hard.

*head spins*

Signature 

Posted: 19 April 2005 06:29 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Boxer
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  689
Joined  2004-09-18

actually I disagree about it being harder…healthy food is just as easy to come across as bad food…  if not easier…it’s not like you can never find the produce section in the grocery store….Like they have it hidden in a little cubby hole or something…I have a harder time looking for pickled eggs and pigs feet ( mmm delicious ) more than I do looking for tomatoes and cucumbers and squash and what not…

Signature 

To master others is strength; to master yourself is true power.
              Lao Tzu

1 of 4