2 of 4
Diet.
Posted: 19 April 2005 07:13 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
Top Dawg
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7683
Joined  2004-08-09

I think I get it, RD, basically you are saying that it’s NOT harder and that people use that as an excuse. So not really laziness but more lack of making good choices and using an excuse that it’s too hard.

I don’t know if it’s hard to do, as much as it is hard to convince yourself it’s necessary or worthwhile.

Signature 

We have too many heroes lost and not enough workout days to commemorate them. I think it’s fitting to always think of the men and women in service, whether military or peace officers and public safety, as we do our workouts. A bit of motivation to throw a little of our sweat and maybe a drop of blood on the floor in their honor.

http://laurarcrossfit.blogspot.com

There is no substitute for good coaching.

Posted: 19 April 2005 07:18 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Boxer
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  689
Joined  2004-09-18

well isn’t that laziness by not making yourself make the right choices….and keep thinking that its hard to convince your ownself…what’s going to happen if you say no to yourself cause you are reaching for that double fudge chocolate cake….you going to throw a tantrum and beat your self up cause you are a meanie and made yourself eat an orange ...ok I just confused myself….man I hate M.P.D…

Signature 

To master others is strength; to master yourself is true power.
              Lao Tzu

Posted: 19 April 2005 07:23 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Top Dawg
Joined  2004-08-09

LOL

MPB - Mulitiple personality BENEFITS!!!!! That’s what I like to call it. smile

hehe. Usually I have a really hard time when I argue with myself, but I always win.

Signature 

We have too many heroes lost and not enough workout days to commemorate them. I think it’s fitting to always think of the men and women in service, whether military or peace officers and public safety, as we do our workouts. A bit of motivation to throw a little of our sweat and maybe a drop of blood on the floor in their honor.

Posted: 19 April 2005 07:40 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
Administrator
Total Posts:  5197
Joined  2004-06-22

Why is it harder to eat a fresh apple than a bagel ??

I think it has nothing to do with being hard… but has to do completely with will power- if it is not healthy don’t buy it.

Salad in a bag, fresh fruit, precooked lean meats like chicken are available almost anywhere. What is easier than a jar of nuts ?
Give me a break.

Harsh but true- you eat badly simply out of habit, not convenience.

Signature 

“No man who refuses to bear arms in defense of his nation can give a sound reason why he should be allowed to live in a free country”  T. Roosevelt

“The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who are not.”  Thomas Jefferson”

“History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or the timid” - Gen Eisenhower.

Posted: 19 April 2005 07:43 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
Top Dawg
Joined  2004-08-09

Ok, agreed. It’s not hard to eat right but it IS hard to break a habit. Habits can only be broken by replacing with a different habit. Most habits take three weeks to break. But if you give in, you start over. (Is there a carb patch???)

Most of the time people don’t change because they don’t want it BADLY enough. Eveyone one needs to find their own motivation for change. If one thing doesn’t work for you find another.

Signature 

Posted: 19 April 2005 08:29 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
Total Posts:  4864
Joined  2004-08-27

So I started to say that by convenience food I meant fast food, because you can’t get anything good for you there, and then I realized what you CAN get. If you go to McDonalds, you can get a pretty good tasting salad, except for the icky chicken on it that I give to one of my boys, (hush Sifu) and they have bottled water and the low-sugar lemonade, and they have apples that are supposed to go with dip, just don’t take it. It supposed to be for the kids’ meals, but who cares. All you have to do is keep a can or jar of nuts in your car, and you’re all set. So, it all comes back to laziness, bad habits and excuses. So to rephrase the question into a statement, it really isn’t hard to eat right.

Signature 

I hate burpees
I hate box jumps

Posted: 19 April 2005 08:33 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
Top Dawg
Joined  2004-08-09

haha Marla. Yes we have only come up with the answer we don’t always want to hear.

BTW I had mixed nuts for breakfast. smile In the car even.

No lunch though. mmmmmeeeeeaaaat! I need meat!

Signature 

Posted: 19 April 2005 09:08 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
Administrator
Total Posts:  14105
Joined  2004-06-18

Don’t want to spin this off in the wrong direction but just a comment.  The people responding to this are the people who are trying.  The people avoiding it aren’t.  Kind of like my question about how to get people involved with the forum.

Anyway keep at it the discussion is good.

Signature 

All of life’s problems can be solved by heavy deadlifts.

M/54/5’11”/190

Posted: 19 April 2005 09:22 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
Terrier
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  57
Joined  2004-06-20

okay i will admit it for all to know, my eating habits SUCK!
Sometimes i care, sometimes i don’t, but i am definitely fit.  Who knows may be laura is right and i just have to find my motivation.  At this moment i don’t care enough, call me lazy.

Signature 

Jesus said love one another. He didn’t say love the whole world.
Mother Teresa

Posted: 19 April 2005 09:27 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]
Administrator
Joined  2004-06-18

I’m weighing in on the first question.  I think a person can be overweight and in shape.  They would of course be more fit if they weren’t over weight.  I think sunshines post , meant to be funny, is actually insightful.

Signature 

M/54/5’11”/190

Posted: 19 April 2005 09:34 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 26 ]
Terrier
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  57
Joined  2004-06-20

All it is, is the truth.  My eating habits suck, have for 25 years.  Is it impossible to change? no.  People with alota hunka chunka have changed their eating habits to be at their proper weight.

Signature 

Jesus said love one another. He didn’t say love the whole world.
Mother Teresa

Posted: 19 April 2005 11:54 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 27 ]
Boxer
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  632
Joined  2004-06-24

my eating habits are pretty poor as well…I have the motivation and I have the empirical evidence that my poor diet adversely affects me…I even have a solution to my poor eating habits.  why am I not following the Zone Diet then?  It could be poor will power, though I dont consider myself to be a person with that affliction when I really put my mind to something.  So I guess the reason my diet is still horrible is because I can and do find reasons to justify it.  “Oh I dont have time to prepare a healthy meal, I have too much homework”, “Ill start eating healthy over summer”  are both excuses I tell myself frequently.  what they basically amount to is I have a habit and as much as I talk about wanting to break it (which I really do) I dont want to put the effort in.  And I might just trying to save face here but I dont think laziness is a culprit behind it at all.  Im not exactly what you would call “overweight or unfit.  could I be more fit, certainly, no one is ever as fit as they ever will be.  and I think I use this fact to prop up my absurd justifications for my poor diet.  “I work hard, I can eat this and still be fit.”  but the fact is I cant eat that and still be fit.  I dont want to reach a plateau ever.  Fit is a relative term to me.  am I fit compared to alot of people…yeah, but this means nothing to me.  If Im as fit as I was yesterday than there is something wrong.  Fit to me is being able to do something that you couldnt do last month, last week or even yesterday.  If I could just commit myself to practicing the preaching thats echoing around in my head I would be set.  I know its going to be that much better for me when I do get the determination to do so…which is why Im workin on how to do so.

Signature 

Im always thinking one step ahead…like a carpenter building stairs.

Patience, n.—A minor form of despair, disguised as a virtue.

Posted: 20 April 2005 12:17 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 28 ]
Administrator
Joined  2004-06-18

HH,
That is a good insightful answer.  You know, none of us are perfect, (except BBoJ).  I think the important thing is taking responsibilty and working to change and become better.  You avoid the two things that drive me over the edge.  One is the person who says, “I like who I am.” when discussing something they could be better at.  Thus giving themselves an excuse not to change.  The second is the person who says, “Jeff its your fault I don’t have a six pack.”  Meanwhile refusing to make any modifications in the way they behave.

Signature 

M/54/5’11”/190

Posted: 20 April 2005 01:52 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 29 ]
Administrator
Total Posts:  5197
Joined  2004-06-22

HH
You are young enough that the choices you make to justify eating the way you want to- do not have nearly the adverse effect they will as you - age.
It is easier to change now and not have to make the changes when you are more invested in the routine of old habits, but you don’t yet have the “ick factor” motivation that some of us got in middle age.
I have a lot of respect for you young people that do this now, it took me many years and a good long look at my future to make serious dietary changes, it wasn’t even a question until about 35, but by then I am sure there was damage done by all the sugar and carbs I constantly consumed.
You are all doing a great job of looking ahead.

GD I would hate to be perfect, but in your eyes its pretty nice, even though I know how much you are joking

Signature 

“No man who refuses to bear arms in defense of his nation can give a sound reason why he should be allowed to live in a free country”  T. Roosevelt

“The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who are not.”  Thomas Jefferson”

“History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or the timid” - Gen Eisenhower.

Posted: 20 April 2005 05:16 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 30 ]
Administrator
Joined  2004-06-18

So here’s another question or two.  Why is it a person who wants to lose weight thinks the best way to do it is, not changing their eating habits, but rather skipping meals and starving themselves?  Why do people who have access to let’s say BBoJ and can ask for guidance wander off on their own to try something that doesn’t work?  interesting.

Signature 

M/54/5’11”/190

2 of 4