3 of 4
Diet.
Posted: 21 April 2005 12:48 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 31 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4864
Joined  2004-08-27

We have 83! registered users. Come on Forum slackers! Get on here and discuss! I’m not answering until some others do. :S

Signature 

I hate burpees
I hate box jumps

Posted: 21 April 2005 01:33 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 32 ]
Top Dawg
Total Posts:  7683
Joined  2004-08-09

LOL…maybe we need logic to assign “forum slacker” as a category on user accounts. wink

Signature 

We have too many heroes lost and not enough workout days to commemorate them. I think it’s fitting to always think of the men and women in service, whether military or peace officers and public safety, as we do our workouts. A bit of motivation to throw a little of our sweat and maybe a drop of blood on the floor in their honor.

http://laurarcrossfit.blogspot.com

There is no substitute for good coaching.

Posted: 21 April 2005 01:33 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 33 ]
Top Dawg
Joined  2004-08-09
[quote author=“Garddawg”]So here’s another question or two.  Why is it a person who wants to lose weight thinks the best way to do it is, not changing their eating habits, but rather skipping meals and starving themselves?  Why do people who have access to let’s say BBoJ and can ask for guidance wander off on their own to try something that doesn’t work?  interesting.

That’s a rhetorical question, right??

Signature 

We have too many heroes lost and not enough workout days to commemorate them. I think it’s fitting to always think of the men and women in service, whether military or peace officers and public safety, as we do our workouts. A bit of motivation to throw a little of our sweat and maybe a drop of blood on the floor in their honor.

Posted: 21 April 2005 02:10 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 34 ]
Administrator
Total Posts:  14099
Joined  2004-06-18

Actually no.  I’m looking for some soul searching.

Signature 

All of life’s problems can be solved by heavy deadlifts.

M/54/5’11”/190

Posted: 21 April 2005 02:13 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 35 ]
Boxer
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  632
Joined  2004-06-24

I think some of it could be because people see asking for help as a admission of failure….I personally dont look at it that way, but I know quite a few people who have a very hard time with admitting that they dont know everything about everything.  its a shame too you can learn so much about everything, by just asking another person.

Signature 

Im always thinking one step ahead…like a carpenter building stairs.

Patience, n.—A minor form of despair, disguised as a virtue.

Posted: 21 April 2005 04:23 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 36 ]
Administrator
Joined  2004-06-18

BTW-THIS IS NOT A RANT at people.  Truly trying to understand some of these questions.

Signature 

M/54/5’11”/190

Posted: 21 April 2005 04:54 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 37 ]
Top Dawg
Joined  2004-08-09

Why is it a person who wants to lose weight thinks the best way to do it is, not changing their eating habits, but rather skipping meals and starving themselves?

Ok, I’ve done this….even though I KNOW it doesn’t work. I have often skipped meals because I figured not eating was better than eating what I want. Actively changing my eating habits (and I know it’s been stipulated it’s not really HARDER, but it is a concious choice) IN THE MOMENT requires me to do something - saying no, choosing the right thing etc, where skipping the meal might be a tad easier -not logical but how the mind sometimes works is not logical. Avoidance is a common defense mechanism.

I avoid making choices by doing nothing. Classic procrastination.

do people who have access to let’s say BBoJ and can ask for guidance wander off on their own to try something that doesn’t work?

Happy Hands has a valid option fo rthis one: Fear of being seen as weak or needing help. Again, logic is not really applicable sometimes. wink

Also, exposing your goals to other people is very humbling in that they will now ask how you are doing and check your progress even in passing.

If someone asks for help, and then don’t take the advice then…  :oops: hehe.

Does that make sense?

Signature 

Posted: 21 April 2005 01:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 38 ]
Terrier
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  57
Joined  2004-06-20

Speaking from experience, I would agree with Laura and say that it is sometimes definitely easier to skip a meal than to eat what you are supposed to.  And also the guilt associated with “falling off” your ‘diet’ is lessened by the fact that you skipped a meal.  As for not using the available resource?  I don’t know, seems a little impossible maybe when that person looks at the fitness involved?

Signature 

Jesus said love one another. He didn’t say love the whole world.
Mother Teresa

Posted: 22 April 2005 03:06 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 39 ]
Pack Member
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  176
Joined  2004-11-29

a person may skip a meal ‘cause they think that it may actually help them lose weight, even tho if they have a really crappy metabolism, they actually gain weight and complain even more and wonder why they’re gaining instead of losing. And other times (sometimes myself included) just aren’t hungry in the middle of the day so they don’t eat a meal at that time and just much on something later in the day or wait until evening and have a decent dinner. As for the whole not asking someone for advice, not really sure, but could be because the person views it as that they are weak and a failure for asking for advice.

Signature 

Without pain, without sacrifice, we would have nothing

Posted: 22 April 2005 04:28 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 40 ]
Administrator
Total Posts:  5197
Joined  2004-06-22

I certainly do not view it that way.  I am most happy with people who make progress when they start from a hard place, not for those to whom it comes easy.

Signature 

“No man who refuses to bear arms in defense of his nation can give a sound reason why he should be allowed to live in a free country”  T. Roosevelt

“The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who are not.”  Thomas Jefferson”

“History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or the timid” - Gen Eisenhower.

Posted: 25 April 2005 10:55 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 41 ]
Big Dawg
RankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  472
Joined  2004-08-24

Never done this. But I’ve known mostly women who do this looking for a fast fix. I think this is behavior is more prevalent in women, too. It’s a more emotional response to a physica/physiological issue. And logic and reason don’t co-exist well with emotional topics—especially “diets”.

Even though this is my opinion (borne of anecdotal evidence) I can feel the flames of hormonal justice reaching out in my general direction. Ahh…it’s good to be a bear tonight.  smile

Signature 

If it looks like a bear…and grumbles like a bear…it must be a BEAR!

Posted: 25 April 2005 03:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 42 ]
Administrator
Total Posts:  5197
Joined  2004-06-22

Bad Bear.

Signature 

“No man who refuses to bear arms in defense of his nation can give a sound reason why he should be allowed to live in a free country”  T. Roosevelt

“The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who are not.”  Thomas Jefferson”

“History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or the timid” - Gen Eisenhower.

Posted: 25 April 2005 07:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 43 ]
Big Dawg
RankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  472
Joined  2004-08-24

8)
Where?

Signature 

If it looks like a bear…and grumbles like a bear…it must be a BEAR!

Posted: 26 April 2005 11:04 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 44 ]
Total Posts:  8568
Joined  2004-07-08

OK, JUST THINKING LOGICALLY.  THIS IS NOT A DIET. THIS IS FUEL ENTERING YOUR BODY TO MAKE IT RUN BETTER AND LAST LONGER. SO WHAT DO YOU MEAN FEELING QUILTY, OR FALLING OFF. YOU HAVE TO MAKE A CHOICE TO INTAKE FOOD THATS HEALTHY FOR YOU. IT SHOULD’NT EVEN BE ALL ABOUT LOSING WIEGHT. SURE IT MAY BE A BY PRODUCT, BUT THINK ABOUT HOW IT AFFECTS YOUR BODY. YOU PUT CRAPPY FUEL IN YOUR CAR IT RUNS LIKE CRAP…GOOD GAS CORVETTE, ZOOMIE ZOOM ZOOM!!!!

SKIPPING A MEAL, YOUR CAR CAN’T RUN WITHOUT FUEL, WHY SHOULD YOU….

SORRY MIKKI, I’M TALKING LIKE I NO WHAT IM DOING.

Signature 

In God we Trust all others we monitor

Posted: 26 April 2005 12:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 45 ]
Administrator
Joined  2004-06-18

Actually, that’s pretty good.

Signature 

M/54/5’11”/190

3 of 4