4 of 4
Diet.
Posted: 26 April 2005 01:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 46 ]
Big Dawg
RankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  472
Joined  2004-08-24

That makes perfect sense. But as with many emotional issues—and “dieting” is a big one—we’re all preaching to the choir. Those who starve themselves and eat for taste (primarily) aren’t thinking fuel or anything logical. They’re thinking about squeezing into that size 4 dress, or those old body-hugging jeans. Or they’re agonizing about their upcoming class reunion. So they’re going to do whatever they believe is necessary to fit themselves into their dreams—no matter how ridiculous or illogical or maybe even dangerous their “diet” or behavior is.

As I mentioned earlier, I’ve seen this behavior mostly in women. Guys usually start reaching for the pancake batter masquerading as protein powder. That’s how they figure they’re going to “trim down”. Then comes the routine in the gym with the exercises from one of those Weider mags. And don’t forget the power smoothie after the workout to help burn off all that spare tire or waddle. Two months later the slippery trickle of pizza, beer, burritos, potato chips, and Healthy Choice cookies shows up on the menu.

Oops…that reminds me. Gotta wash down my two $6 low-carb burgers with an extra thick TrimSpa shake. Two more weeks of this and I should be able to fit in my old rugby shorts! :shock:

Signature 

If it looks like a bear…and grumbles like a bear…it must be a BEAR!

Posted: 27 April 2005 01:10 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 47 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  942
Joined  2004-06-30

Okay, only since Marla called us out am I contributing to this thread.  I have personally avoided it like the plague because it is my achilles heel (no pun intended, but I am still receving settlement checks from my unfortunate incident).

Over the past few years I have tried to remain conscious of my eating habits and they have improved overall, but I have a deep hatred for the word “diet”.  As I grew up I watched my mom yo-yo from one diet fad to another, always trying to lose the extra, unwanted pounds only to fail and gain additional weight.  As a result of this experience, I have always told myself that dieting was off limits and that I would not subject myself to the ups and downs of dieting.  I have always told myselft that if I remained active I could eat pretty much what I wanted within reason.

That was until a few years ago.  I was working in an office environment for the first time in my life and to put it bluntly, I let myself go.  When I tipped the scales at 255 I finally decided that a “diet” was now my penalty for my lack of restraint.  I had a freind tell me about Atkins and a year later I was down to 220 pounds. 

I still have my strong feelings about dieting and this is why physical activity is so important to me.  I know that my eating habits are not what they should be.  I do not like several of the popular “diet” foods and my schedule is not consistant.  But all that being said, I understand that I pay a penalty for my food decisions and I do not walk around telling anyone I need to lose weight (okay except my wife, but this is usually after she complains about needing to lose weight…which I tell her is a load of @#$%). 

Okay, I am rambling.  As I have tried to state, this subject touches many nerves and I think I have said enough or much to much.  I don’t think I really added much to the questions raised either?

Signature 

He was just a man doing a job.  A job whose primary attribute was self-restraint and self-composure, not for his own sake, but for those whom he lead by example.  A job whose objective could be boiled down to the single understatement, as he did at the Hot Gates on the morning he died, of performing the commonplace under uncommonplace conditions. 

Description of Dienekes, a Spartan warrior at the Battle of Thermopylae

Posted: 27 April 2005 04:02 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 48 ]
Administrator
Total Posts:  5197
Joined  2004-06-22

Seems like it is everyones hardest hurdle to control eating habits.
We want what we want, and for most of us, that worked really well until we got to a certain age and the results of feeding the engine badly started to show in so many ways…I was a Carb Junkie !! I used to tell Jeff that
the one area in which I had no will power was with food.

Signature 

“No man who refuses to bear arms in defense of his nation can give a sound reason why he should be allowed to live in a free country”  T. Roosevelt

“The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who are not.”  Thomas Jefferson”

“History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or the timid” - Gen Eisenhower.

Posted: 27 April 2005 10:39 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 49 ]
Big Dawg
Joined  2004-08-24

Okay, I’ll admit that it hasn’t always been nuts and berries with me either.

Signature 

Posted: 28 April 2005 03:05 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 50 ]
Administrator
Joined  2004-06-22

Salmon is good.  A little Old Bay seasoning, some spinach and sliced oranges, oh yeah , Bear style….how about raw salmon ?

Signature 

“No man who refuses to bear arms in defense of his nation can give a sound reason why he should be allowed to live in a free country”  T. Roosevelt

“The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who are not.”  Thomas Jefferson”

“History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or the timid” - Gen Eisenhower.

Posted: 28 April 2005 06:42 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 51 ]
Total Posts:  4864
Joined  2004-08-27

O.k. I have the answer. Get the flu, spend 2 days in the bathroom, lose 4 pounds. Easy. No desire to eat. That’s my diet of the week.  :cry:

Signature 

I hate burpees
I hate box jumps

Posted: 28 April 2005 07:48 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 52 ]
Administrator
Joined  2004-06-22

and appetizing too ! Thanks Marla !

Signature 

Posted: 28 April 2005 10:03 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 53 ]
Total Posts:  4864
Joined  2004-08-27

I’m here to help.  :wink:

Signature 

I hate burpees
I hate box jumps

Posted: 01 May 2005 07:33 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 54 ]
Big Dawg
Joined  2004-08-24

bEAR SALmOn—MmmMM…GoOD.

Actually, I lik to buy the salmon fillets and romaine lettuce hears at costco and bring them to work. Great dinner! And I don’t even have to get my paws wet! smile

Signature 

Posted: 03 May 2005 03:36 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 55 ]
Terrier
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  57
Joined  2004-06-20

I’m for marla’s method.  The only thing that stops me from eating is a REALLY bad stomach flu. Other than that…..And i don’t like vegetables.  If they tasted like chocolate cake i could eat them everday no problems.

Signature 

Jesus said love one another. He didn’t say love the whole world.
Mother Teresa

Posted: 05 August 2005 01:53 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 56 ]
Big Dawg
Total Posts:  389
Joined  2004-07-20

o i found something that really tastes yummy. a gal from summer school turned me on to it. got a can of nacho cheese from cost co and mild, because im delicate, salsa and mixed them together. pour over beef burritos shoot anything. VERY TASTY!  now is it bad for you? if its good it has to be bad huh? no wonder cave men didnt live very long. they probably didnt taste very good either. thats why the sabre tooth cat ran into the tar pits to get away from bad tasting cave men. see, i bet no one knew that little trivia huh?

Posted: 07 August 2005 04:05 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 57 ]
Big Dawg
Total Posts:  389
Joined  2004-07-20

) ok!  i got the fish oil tabs, not the supository ones like bear uses but they are the super duper powerful ones. so in 3 days i should look like AQUA-MAN? or ROCKY or the ROCKY HORROR SHOW?

Posted: 07 August 2005 06:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 58 ]
Big Dawg
Joined  2004-08-24

That’s right, Dale. I use those special oily pills so that the hare doesn’t stick…  LOL

Signature 

Posted: 08 August 2005 02:45 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 59 ]
Top Dawg
Total Posts:  7683
Joined  2004-08-09

ermmm….

GROSS!

LOL

Signature 

We have too many heroes lost and not enough workout days to commemorate them. I think it’s fitting to always think of the men and women in service, whether military or peace officers and public safety, as we do our workouts. A bit of motivation to throw a little of our sweat and maybe a drop of blood on the floor in their honor.

http://laurarcrossfit.blogspot.com

There is no substitute for good coaching.

Posted: 15 April 2007 06:11 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 60 ]
Puppy Dawg
Rank
Total Posts:  8
Joined  2007-04-13

mistake

4 of 4