Ring rows
Posted: 31 May 2009 10:05 AM   [ Ignore ]
Boxer
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  786
Joined  2008-08-27

I looked for a video on the main site but couldn’t find one.  Are there videos or articles that demonstrate the ring row?

Are they effective for building strength for pullups?

Signature 

F 28 years/5’8”/22 weeks, Due May 8th

CrossFit Binghamton

Posted: 31 May 2009 11:52 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  13286
Joined  2007-01-30

Go to the crossfit kids site, from the Brand X home page and go to the tutorials video stuff.
http://www.crossfitkids.com/index.php/Videos/

There are videos there. 

TP

Signature 

The common denominator of success—- the secret of success of every man who has ever been successful—- lies in the fact that he formed the habit of doing things that failures don’t like to do.—Albert Grey

“Really Connor? Really?”—Jeff Martin

http://rantopedia.blogspot.com/ (my blog)
http://www.facebook.com/patrick.hoffman1

M-47/5’11”/180lbs

There’s a reason they don’t call it “Fight Gone Good”.

Posted: 31 May 2009 05:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Boxer
Joined  2008-08-27

Got it. Thanks!

Signature 

CrossFit Binghamton

Posted: 31 May 2009 08:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Total Posts:  4864
Joined  2004-08-27

They are effective for the beginner, but pull up progressions are more effective for someone past the beginner stage. If you go here http://crossfitmom.com/index.php/cfm-demos you can watch our resident pregnant lady demo them. (Yes, she’s getting tired at the end and loses some of the tightness in the plank, but we’ll cut her some slack.  grin) If you scroll down, there is also one of the progressions.

Signature 

I hate burpees
I hate box jumps

Posted: 01 June 2009 08:01 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Boxer
Joined  2008-08-27

Excellent.  Thanks!

The picture for today’s WOD shows “a mom” doing ring rows too!

Signature 

CrossFit Binghamton

Posted: 07 July 2009 07:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Administrator
Total Posts:  5197
Joined  2004-06-22

They are effective for anyone and build strength for all. ( I did a few sets yesterday) Increase angle to increase difficulty.
Full scapular retraction will build strength in the back, necessary for that violent pull up to the bar.
Hold rings and relax back and shoulders,
then retract scapula, as if pinching something between them pull from this position to the chest. Reset for each Ring Row.
Done at a 10-15% angle these are very challenging.  I worked with two ladies on these recently, one got pullups the day after using the ring rows in this way ( Go Cheryl W !)
There is the additional benefit of bringing the caving ” old lady” shoulder back to improve posture.

Signature 

“No man who refuses to bear arms in defense of his nation can give a sound reason why he should be allowed to live in a free country”  T. Roosevelt

“The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who are not.”  Thomas Jefferson”

“History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or the timid” - Gen Eisenhower.

Posted: 07 July 2009 07:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Administrator
Total Posts:  14099
Joined  2004-06-18

I proscribe them constantly and do them myself at least once a week in my buy in or cash out.  Scapular retraction is key for the movement.  If the elbow is not clearly moving well past the center line scapular retraction is not occurring.

Signature 

All of life’s problems can be solved by heavy deadlifts.

M/54/5’11”/190

Posted: 08 July 2009 07:19 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Top Dawg
Total Posts:  1024
Joined  2009-03-24

I have been doing kipping pull ups for a few months now, and hadn’t done anymore ring rows until a few weeks back, when I had to sub them in to work around some injuries.

My dose of ring rows came in the wallball/pullup WOD.  gulp

In a weird sort of way these are easier, but at the same time they more taxing than full kipping pullups. GD explains the physio side of the movement. That scapular thing… yeah that generates some muscle burn. I get winded doing full kipping pullups and have to drop of to breathe (My max stands at 18 reps). I had a difficult time getting just 14 ring rows due to muscle fatigue.

I gained a whole new level of respect for this so-called “beginner” level movement. It is very well suited for initiating someone into the movement of a full pull-up, but it certainly has continuing usefulness for the crossfitter who has already graduated to high rep kipping pullups.

Signature 

“Do you have a purpose?”

‹‹ label me      HSPU ››