1 of 8
Best shoes or type of shoes for Crossfit?
Posted: 11 June 2009 09:19 AM   [ Ignore ]
Puppy Dawg
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2008-09-09

Ok, I do most…..well let’s say all of my workouts in running shoes.  On occasion have gone barefoot.  I come from a football/track and field type runnning and training background before Crossfit.  So it has always been running shoes or cross trainers.  But obviously Crossfit is a different animal.  So what is the best shoe or type of shoe for Crossfit?  Thanks in advanced.

“We sleep safe in our beds, because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.”
  -George Orwell

Posted: 11 June 2009 10:17 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Stray Dawg
RankRank
Total Posts:  25
Joined  2009-05-21

Personally I use two types of shoes.  I have a pair for running and a pair for CF.  My running shoes are Mizuno Wave Creation 10 :luv: My CF shoes are what ever is on sale that has a lot of support and cushion.  Currently that is a pair of Adidas Cross trainers (don’t know the model, don’t care, they feel good for $45).  I have herd some people talk about Chucks but I cannot invision them having either enough support or cushion for training.  my .02

Signature 

M/30/6’00”/235#
Crossfit - the hardest thing you will ever love to do!
Losers whine about their best; winners just get the job done.

Whatever it is I think the point to ponder is whether you think the _____ is the impediment to reaching your goal.

Posted: 11 June 2009 10:34 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Top Dawg
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2765
Joined  2007-12-19

Running shoes for running days, wooden weight lifting shoes for ME lifting days.  For general wear, people will tell you that Adidas Sambas are the official CF shoe, but I find them to be way too narrow.  Low top Vans with laces-comfy and fashion forward!

Signature 

M 44yrs 6’2/218

Posted: 11 June 2009 11:09 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Top Dawg
Total Posts:  858
Joined  2005-05-16

The problem with most running shoes is that if the Olympic lifts come up in the WOD it’s like trying to lift on a mattress. (MOST running shoes, not all.)Cushiioning is a BAD thing for Crossfit workout shoes, in my opinion. I prefer the Sambas or skater shoes or driving shoes. Driving shoes have a touch of a heel and not a lot of cushioning, which to me is the perfect compromise between a big-heeled hard-soled weightlifting shoe and a no-heel indoor soccer shoe or skater shoe.

41VHXH56HGL._AA280_.jpg

Signature 

Lincoln Brigham
USAW, CSCS, Crossfit

http://www.gryphon-sc.com
51M/6’1”/170-ish

Posted: 11 June 2009 01:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Pack Member
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  264
Joined  2008-10-20

i do everything in chuck taylors. i can run 400m in them when the wod calls for it, and the lack of cushioning keeps me from heel striking.  i’ve heard that the sambas are a great shoe, as are the new nike frees and the puma salohs

Signature 

CrossFit Start Date: Sept 15, 2008
My Mostly Crossfit, but Sometimes Not Blog

“estne volumen in toga, an solum tibi libet me videre?”
Translation: Is that a scroll in your toga, or are you just happy to see me?

“catapultam habeo. nisi pecuniam dabis, ad capitem tuum saxum mittam.”
Translation: I have a catapult. Give me all of your money or I will throw an enormous rock at your head.

Posted: 11 June 2009 02:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Top Dawg
Total Posts:  2961
Joined  2008-04-08

I rock the Chuck’s too (when I’m not in my lifting shoes).

I agree they help to keep me from heel striking on the short runs (up to 1k), but I wouldn’t want to run a 5k in them.  I even ended up with some pretty bad blisters doing 100m sprints a couple weeks back.  I’m gonna have to look into something for that type of application

Signature 

28/m/6’2”/215/BF8.9%
CrossFit Birth: April 8, 2008 (BW 245)

“Performance is directly correlated with intensity. Intensity is directly correlated with discomfort.” -Coach Glassman
“Get Comfortable with Uncomfortable.” -Coach OPT

-||||———||||-
“Machines were invented to keep wankers off the barbells.” -Greg Everett

Posted: 11 June 2009 02:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Top Dawg
Total Posts:  858
Joined  2005-05-16

I’ve run a couple of 5ks in the Sambas, but then again I don’t run with a heel strike.

I think the Chucks don’t have enough arch support for longer runs - none at all, actually. They may be retro trendy and they may be good for deadlifts and powerlifting-style squats, but at the end of the day they’re still a cheap product. There are many other shoes that are similar in functional design but simply higher quality.

Signature 

Lincoln Brigham
USAW, CSCS, Crossfit

http://www.gryphon-sc.com
51M/6’1”/170-ish

Posted: 11 June 2009 04:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Pack Member
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  264
Joined  2008-10-20
LincolnB - 11 June 2009 02:46 PM

I’ve run a couple of 5ks in the Sambas, but then again I don’t run with a heel strike.

I think the Chucks don’t have enough arch support for longer runs - none at all, actually. They may be retro trendy and they may be good for deadlifts and powerlifting-style squats, but at the end of the day they’re still a cheap product. There are many other shoes that are similar in functional design but simply higher quality.

yeah, exactly. if the intervals are any longer than 400m, i’ll wear something else. I find chucks a better “all-wod” shoe than running shoes with the stupid heel cushion in it. I’d rather struggle a little with the runs then squish around while snatching or jerking

Signature 

CrossFit Start Date: Sept 15, 2008
My Mostly Crossfit, but Sometimes Not Blog

“estne volumen in toga, an solum tibi libet me videre?”
Translation: Is that a scroll in your toga, or are you just happy to see me?

“catapultam habeo. nisi pecuniam dabis, ad capitem tuum saxum mittam.”
Translation: I have a catapult. Give me all of your money or I will throw an enormous rock at your head.

Posted: 11 June 2009 05:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Big Dawg
RankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  493
Joined  2009-03-13

I’m a biggin’, and have always been told that New Balance makes the best shoes for us Clydesdales.  I was sold on the first pair I bought.  My current pair are trail shoes, not too rugged, and seem to handle anything..running, lifting, etc.

Signature 

What if the hokey-pokey IS what it’s all about?

“The point of CF is to get better at life.  Being unable to workout tomorrow because you were pigheaded today is not in line with our goals.“
Garddawg - 22 March 2009

Posted: 12 June 2009 10:40 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Stray Dawg
RankRank
Joined  2009-05-21
LincolnB - 11 June 2009 11:09 AM

I prefer the Sambas or skater shoes or driving shoes. Driving shoes have a touch of a heel and not a lot of cushioning, which to me is the perfect compromise between a big-heeled hard-soled weightlifting shoe and a no-heel indoor soccer shoe or skater shoe.

Hmm got a couple older pairs of pumas, gonna have to give them a shot on the next M/E day

Signature 

M/30/6’00”/235#

Whatever it is I think the point to ponder is whether you think the _____ is the impediment to reaching your goal.

Posted: 12 June 2009 10:42 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Pack Member
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  221
Joined  2006-11-11

Nike Frees are good.  I think they quit making them for a little while, but the dude at the nike store told me they’re coming out this summer again.  Nike frees try to simulate a bare foot and the sole bends/moves freely with the foot.  They’re supposed to help build small muscles in your leg that solid shoes prevent from moving around.  There’s something like 3 “levels” of frees, Nike Free 10.0, 5.0, 3.0.  The 3.0 are the most extreme with the 10.0 more like a running shoe.  if you have foot issues, they say to break your foot into them starting with 10.0.  I went straight to 3.0.  I really like ‘em.  and I see them often among the crossfit community.  They’re no good for Rope climbs.  They get ripped to shreds. 
I use sambas for weight days and Nike Frees, or nike Zoom for running days.

Signature 

“It’s not my fault for being the biggest and the strongest.  I don’t even exercise.” —Fessik

Posted: 12 June 2009 11:37 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Big Dawg
RankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  385
Joined  2007-04-12

Chucks:  Great for lifting. Great for looking cool.  I can’t stand running on pavement with them.  I ran hills and trails with them and actually enjoyed the experience.

Sambas:  Great for lifting. Good for most other CF activities.  I can run fine in them (compared to the chucks), but I would prefer not to pound too much pavement with them if I can help it.  The occasional 400,800, mile and only if the workout calls for it.  If its mono-structural running, I prefer not to run in them.

Nike Frees:  Love them for running.  Great for box jumps, burpees, and jump rope.  Not great for lifting, but the occasional HPC, Hang Snatch, I don’t mind.

Puma H-Streets:  Narrow fit.  Great for sprinting.  Comparable to the free’s (with less padding).  Extremely narrow, so I don’t know if I would lift anything relatively heavy in ‘em.

Crosstrainers/Running shoes:  I still have some old ones that I just can’t throw away. (pack rat maybe?).  I use them for walking around. 

VS Dynamos:  Good for my meager O-lifting. 
Vibram 5 fingers:  I did some trail running, and some street running, and some beach running. Not bad, but I couldn’t see myself doing box jumps, or jump rope in them.  I don’t use them often because they look hideous. 

——

Lately I’ve strayed away from the mindset of “the all-purpose shoe” for everything.  The “train as you fight” mentality.  Basically if I can improve my performance or technique with a particular shoe (my VS’s or running shoes), regardless of how little the gain is, then I can maximize my training session.

Posted: 12 June 2009 09:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Total Posts:  8570
Joined  2004-07-08

Nice bit of detail there Gonzo!

Signature 

In God we Trust all others we monitor

Posted: 12 June 2009 09:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Total Posts:  4864
Joined  2004-08-27

Love Frees for running.
Love Sambas for lifting.
Love New Balance for both in the same WOD.  grin

Signature 

I hate burpees
I hate box jumps

Posted: 13 June 2009 03:27 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Puppy Dawg
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2009-06-05

Timely post.  Was just ready to buy some Otomix for lifting.  Never heard of the Sambas until today, but sounds like a winner.  Love the $50 instead of $90 price too.

Posted: 17 June 2009 12:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Stray Dawg
RankRank
Joined  2009-05-21

Well tried an old pair of pumas for lifting, Not bad.  I would like them to have a little more lateral support but not bad

Signature 

M/30/6’00”/235#

1 of 8