1 of 2
Vibram fivefingers??
Posted: 31 July 2009 09:47 PM   [ Ignore ]
Terrier
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  69
Joined  2008-08-23

Im looking at getting a pair of the ” Vibram FiveFingers” just wondering if any of yall have used them while Crossfiting? Im concerned about developing stoner bruises ( bone bruise) while running.  I really like the concept of the shoes tho.

Signature 

21/M/6’0”/200lbs
Gal 2:20

Posted: 01 August 2009 08:19 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Top Dawg
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2765
Joined  2007-12-19

These are discussed frequently.  Start here:

http://www.crossfitbrandx.com/index.php/forums/viewthread/5255/

I’ve worked out with several people that swear by them, though they all say it takes a while to adjust.  Note that they also scare small children-not the most fashion forward shoe choice out there.

Signature 

M 44yrs 6’2/218

Posted: 01 August 2009 11:39 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Top Dawg
Total Posts:  1090
Joined  2009-01-02

I have a pair. Got them when I got into Pose running. Just got them back (my house was in storage for a couple months (I love moving!!)

They are pretty nice, but yes, they take a while to get used to. Recommendation:

1. go barefoot as much as possible to start.
2. Walk in them to start
3. Do short “Pose-style” runs (2-3 x 2-400m) a couple days a week for a few weeks then build up. You WILL land on BOF wearing these (if you heel-strike, it’ll hurt like hell) so be prepared for some calf soreness - stretch before and after and work slowly into it. DON’T do anything crazy if the “Run 10k” comes up and try to run in these if you haven’t already worked up to running 5-7k a few times a month - you WILL hurt yourself and be a long time recovering.

That said, they aren’t for everyone, and like RS said, they will cause some looks… but then, our WODs do that already, so you should be used to it. wink

Signature 

“To survive is not enough” - Matsuo Basho
“If it is not right do not do it; if it is not true do not say it.”—Marcus Aurelius

Posted: 01 August 2009 12:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Boxer
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  754
Joined  2008-10-12
subdriver96 - 01 August 2009 11:39 AM

I have a pair. Got them when I got into Pose running. Just got them back (my house was in storage for a couple months (I love moving!!)

They are pretty nice, but yes, they take a while to get used to. Recommendation:

1. go barefoot as much as possible to start.
2. Walk in them to start
3. Do short “Pose-style” runs (2-3 x 2-400m) a couple days a week for a few weeks then build up. You WILL land on BOF wearing these (if you heel-strike, it’ll hurt like hell) so be prepared for some calf soreness - stretch before and after and work slowly into it. DON’T do anything crazy if the “Run 10k” comes up and try to run in these if you haven’t already worked up to running 5-7k a few times a month - you WILL hurt yourself and be a long time recovering.

That said, they aren’t for everyone, and like RS said, they will cause some looks… but then, our WODs do that already, so you should be used to it. wink

I love my pair. I use them a lot for Crossfitting, short runs and I wear them out for fun. I am always barefeet. My wife thinks I am crazy for walking around barefoot all the time but hey what can you do when you grow up on an island. I agree work up slowly in them. I don’t use mine for runs longer than an 800 on the road, but on a track or off road I will take them for 2-3miles. I need to get me another set. Need a new color.

Signature 

yingyang
http://crossfit-fortbragg.com/ (my CF Gym)  coffee

PAIN IS TEMPORARY, PRs are FOREVER!

Posted: 04 August 2009 01:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Terrier
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-08-23

Thanks for your help! my friend and i are the only ppl who crossfit in baton rouge, so we already stand out.  what about the recovery time when i hurt my feet?

Signature 

21/M/6’0”/200lbs

Posted: 04 August 2009 01:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Terrier
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-08-23

Also what version of the 5fingers would yall suggest?

Signature 

21/M/6’0”/200lbs

Posted: 04 August 2009 01:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Total Posts:  13300
Joined  2007-01-30
jgleas1 - 04 August 2009 01:10 PM

The good looking one . . .

Signature 

The common denominator of success—- the secret of success of every man who has ever been successful—- lies in the fact that he formed the habit of doing things that failures don’t like to do.—Albert Grey

“Really Connor? Really?”—Jeff Martin

http://rantopedia.blogspot.com/ (my blog)
http://www.facebook.com/patrick.hoffman1

M-47/5’11”/180lbs

There’s a reason they don’t call it “Fight Gone Good”.

Posted: 04 August 2009 06:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Pack Member
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  158
Joined  2007-06-13

De-mostly-lurking ‘cos for once I have something useful to say…

I bought a pair around the same that I got back on the Crossfit horse after a long period off.  (And, really, off all non-mandatory activity.)  I’d been walking around barefoot whenever possible for about two months beforehand, so I was somewhat conditioned to it and had very little trouble adapting over all.  My feet in the Vibrams and my body overall are adapting to running again at the same time, so that hasn’t really been an issue either- my heart, lungs, and legs are in no better shape than my feet are, so while after a particularly long running day I’ll have some calf and ankle soreness, but nothing I can’t resolve with a long stretching session.

They’ve improved my running form, which sucked out loud to the point where I couldn’t finish a mile and a half run because of terrible lower back pain a year ago, immeasurably- I’m not sure if I’m up to POSE standards, but with nothing between my foot and the road but a thicker sole, my body pretty naturally found something that worked and left my joints pain-free even on days when I’m mandated to push myself.  I do absolutely everything active in them, including on paved surfaces, which so far hasn’t really bothered me unduly.  It now bothers me to put on “normal” shoes because I hate the way they immobilize my toes and take away my sense of what I’m walking on.

So from this still deconditioned and overweight (but improving along with those consistency and intensity things) customer, Five Fingers and Crossfit go great together.

Signature 

http://www.atomicnerds.com

Posted: 04 August 2009 09:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Hound
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  98
Joined  2008-10-25

Never used them myself, but the guy who introduced me to crossfit uses them and he told me running in them cured his shin splints. Another thing is that doing barbell lifts in running shoes sucks, but you cant run well in lifting shoes, so maybe the new shoes are a happy medium. I know I prefer pulling a bar off the ground barefoot before doing it in running shoes.

Posted: 06 August 2009 04:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Boxer
Joined  2008-10-12
TexasPatrick - 04 August 2009 01:40 PM

LOL. I saw some freaky looking colors. Next pair for me are the grey ones. Maybe even the blue ones. Don’t know, looking at them this weekend and getting a chalk bag for climbing/ lifting when I’m at work.

I prefer the ones with the Velcro strap over the top of the foot. But any of them are good. They are form fitting. Make sure you try on every pair in the size of the model you want. Sometimes your feet will feel better in one shoe then another one. I do these with boots and shoes all the time. I’m the guy folks hate in the shoe store because I ask for all the shoes I want in my size. Which usually there are only 2 or 3 pairs for size 13 anyways. I try them on, walk around, jump up and down, do some squats. I tie a little knot in the lace to mark the ones that feel good then when I am done, I pick the best lt and rt and I buy them.

Signature 

yingyang

Posted: 08 September 2009 11:22 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Pack Member
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  253
Joined  2009-05-22

I have had a pair since they first came out a few years ago.  I used to use them for working out, but then they began to smell to bad.  I tried washing them, but that only lasted one workout session.  Now I used them for casual wear.  And yes, I can’t go outside without someone asking me about them.  Or calling them “water shoes,” which really pisses me off.  Give them a shot, but start slowly.  I notice that my back starts to hurt when I wear them all day and walk a lot.  Other than that, I love wearing them everywhere.  If anyone has solutions for a smelly feet problem, I am all ears.

Signature 

My Xfit blog:  http://pittsburghfitnessattorney.blogspot.com

My Website: http://mbeckerlaw.com

Twitter:  http://twitter.com/mbeckerlaw

Facebook:  Matthew E. Becker, Esq.

Posted: 08 September 2009 12:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Top Dawg
Total Posts:  1090
Joined  2009-01-02
TexasPatrick - 04 August 2009 01:40 PM

TP, really. Pleeeeaaassseee….. they really are (almost) all dog ugly.  bigsmile

I have the KSOs (stands for, wait for it… Keep Stuff Out… nice huh)... pretty decent actually, and if you want to wear them in an outdoorsy situation, probably a good idea.

Signature 

“To survive is not enough” - Matsuo Basho
“If it is not right do not do it; if it is not true do not say it.”—Marcus Aurelius

Posted: 08 September 2009 08:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Top Dawg
Total Posts:  802
Joined  2006-08-04

Just think…
“What would Rip say?”
Then I also heard a rumour that some head instructor at Brand X had some…
hehehehehe

Signature 

Death is natures way of saying that you failed Selection

Posted: 13 September 2009 04:13 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Boxer
Total Posts:  601
Joined  2008-03-24

Bought a pair of KSO’s yesterday. Watched a few youtube videos on barefoot running. Did 2 real slow miles to get the feel of them this morning and did about 5-6 short sprints afterward. OK so far. Sprints felt faster. Knees have been hurting from regular running / shoes. Giving these a shot.

Cheers.

Signature 

43/m/6’4”/225#

You decide your own level of involvement. Tyler Durden

It’s a good thing misery loves company or I would be here all by myself.  Brooks Buford

Posted: 13 September 2009 04:35 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Boxer
Joined  2008-10-12
Nappy5727 - 13 September 2009 04:13 AM

Bought a pair of KSO’s yesterday. Watched a few youtube videos on barefoot running. Did 2 real slow miles to get the feel of them this morning and did about 5-6 short sprints afterward. OK so far. Sprints felt faster. Knees have been hurting from regular running / shoes. Giving these a shot.

Cheers.

I am glad you joined the club on them. Im getting me another pair but I have to get me a set of oly shoes first. I use the crap out of 5 fingers in and out of the gym. I’ve gone up to 2 miles on road and 4ish miles off road. You will like them for Crossfitting. Great for those transition days. Have fun in them.

Signature 

yingyang

Posted: 13 September 2009 06:30 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Boxer
Total Posts:  601
Joined  2008-03-24

I’m gonna try ditching the running shoes. I’ll work up to a few more miles next week. Shooting for 5-7 miles (gradually) knee pain free. I love running and hate to think about giving it up. I don’t like to think about it as running from somebody more like running after somebody.  cheese

Signature 

43/m/6’4”/225#

You decide your own level of involvement. Tyler Durden

It’s a good thing misery loves company or I would be here all by myself.  Brooks Buford

1 of 2

‹‹ SS or CrossFit?      August 09 PR’s ››