Behind the neck shoulder press
Posted: 04 August 2009 04:28 PM   [ Ignore ]
Hound
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  98
Joined  2008-10-25

I just wanted some advice pertaining to the behind the neck shoulder press. I never do the exercise or advocate it, but have seen a lot of guys doing it lately. I was always under the impression that it put the spine in an unnatural position. From what I gathered, those against it say it causes too many rotator cuff problems and that there’s no improvement in muscle recruitment doing presses from behind the neck. Those for it argue that injuries are caused by poor flexibility and trying to use the neck as an accesory muscle. If anyone has a defining opinion on the subject, I’d like to hear it. Thanks.

Posted: 04 August 2009 06:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  9837
Joined  2007-01-08

Moved this one so it gets more visibility and to keep Jeff and Dans’ corner free for rants.

Signature 

Craig Massey

“The point of CF is to get better at life.  Being unable to workout tomorrow because you were pigheaded today is not in line with our goals.”
Garddawg - 22 March 2009

“CrossFit is not dangerous.
Bad coaching is dangerous, poor movement is dangerous. Ego is dangerous.
CrossFit, properly scaled to the individual is the safest and most efficient program available for strength, conditioning and movement.”
BlueBugofJustice - 18 August 2009

Posted: 05 August 2009 09:09 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Top Dawg
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  858
Joined  2005-05-16

I was always under the impression that it put the spine in an unnatural position.

No. It’s a normal standing position, with at most a very slight forward lean.

From what I gathered, those against it say it causes too many rotator cuff problems

Without agreeing or disagreeing, if this is a concern then the behind the neck push press is the answer. The drive from the legs in the push press takes the load off the rotators in the critical position in question.

and that there’s no improvement in muscle recruitment doing presses from behind the neck.

Motor recruitment is not why we do a behind the neck press or push press. We put the bar there because it’s a position that’s easier for the lifter to start the bar directly over the center of gravity without having to worry about the shoulder/wrist/elbow positioning issues of the normal press.

Personally, I don’t prescribe the clean-grip BTN press. Only the regular press or push press from the front, or the BTN clean-grip push press or the BTN snatch-grip press.

Signature 

Lincoln Brigham
USAW, CSCS, Crossfit

http://www.gryphon-sc.com
51M/6’1”/170-ish

Posted: 05 August 2009 09:35 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Hound
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  98
Joined  2008-10-25

When I assumed that the BTN press put the spine in an unnatural position, maybe I was grouping it with the BTN lat pull down, which I still see guys do on the multi-station thing. Anyway, thanks for your input Lincoln, I’m going to mess around with the BTN push press after the WOD.

‹‹ Posting Workouts      Where Do I Start? ››