How to scale WOD and the basic theory of the scaling of WOD
Posted: 11 August 2009 05:42 PM   [ Ignore ]
Puppy Dawg
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2009-08-11

First, I’m very sorry that I’m poor at writing English. I’m not the native speaker of English.
So, pls, use and choose EASY WORDS.

I live in South Korea and I’m doing CrossFit now. I’m a Puppie.
I and my some friends are wondering how they, I mean “CrossFit WOD designers or scalers(?)”, scale WOD according to WHAT!
Do they have some theories or do they scale with only their experiences or just some data?

Does somebody know that?

Posted: 11 August 2009 06:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  13322
Joined  2007-01-30
Great Joe - 11 August 2009 05:42 PM

I and my some friends are wondering how they, I mean “CrossFit WOD designers or scalers(?)”, scale WOD according to WHAT!
Do they have some theories or do they scale with only their experiences or just some data?

Do somebody know that?

Yes. 

GardDawg owns a crossfit gym and is a crossfit instructor.  He has many years experience. 

He has many clients and they have different levels of ability.  Some are soldiers, some are grandmothers.  Garddawg had to design classes for everyone.

So, he scales from 1) Experience mostly with many different people of varied abilities 2) observation data of what works for those clients

Signature 

The common denominator of success—- the secret of success of every man who has ever been successful—- lies in the fact that he formed the habit of doing things that failures don’t like to do.—Albert Grey

“Really Connor? Really?”—Jeff Martin

http://rantopedia.blogspot.com/ (my blog)
http://www.facebook.com/patrick.hoffman1

M-47/5’11”/180lbs

There’s a reason they don’t call it “Fight Gone Good”.

Posted: 11 August 2009 07:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Total Posts:  8598
Joined  2004-07-08

Very good TP! Experience is the big key, a lot of mistakes were made along the way so you all don’t have to repeat them.

Signature 

In God we Trust all others we monitor

Posted: 12 August 2009 07:45 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Top Dawg
Total Posts:  2570
Joined  2005-10-27

Texas Patrick answers well, as usual. To further explain, a puppy should complete the workout at approximately the same time as a Big Dawg. Repititions, rounds and weights are chosen so that everyone gets a similar workout based on their abilities and fitness levels.

Please feel free to ask for more information or clarification of terms. Happy CrossFitting!