Coconut Water Block ?
Posted: 16 August 2009 09:59 AM   [ Ignore ]
Pack Member
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  280
Joined  2009-04-28

I was trying to figure out what this would fall under and how many blocks? I purchased “Zico” brand that came in a 11 FL oz (330 ml) contianer.
I couldnt really find what i was looking for searching the net.

Signature 

I practice Pseudo-Science!!!

Posted: 16 August 2009 10:24 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  13287
Joined  2007-01-30
ceo32312 - 16 August 2009 09:59 AM

I was trying to figure out what this would fall under and how many blocks? I purchased “Zico” brand that came in a 11 FL oz (330 ml) contianer.
I couldnt really find what i was looking for searching the net.

It doesn’t have nutrition info on the package?

Signature 

The common denominator of success—- the secret of success of every man who has ever been successful—- lies in the fact that he formed the habit of doing things that failures don’t like to do.—Albert Grey

“Really Connor? Really?”—Jeff Martin

http://rantopedia.blogspot.com/ (my blog)
http://www.facebook.com/patrick.hoffman1

M-47/5’11”/180lbs

There’s a reason they don’t call it “Fight Gone Good”.

Posted: 16 August 2009 12:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
Total Posts:  9838
Joined  2007-01-08

I just read the website.
What a load of advertising bollocks.
It’s just what’s left of coconut milk after the meat has formed on the shell.

Anyway.
Get a copy of almost any of Dr Sears Zone books, for your purpose I’d recommend “100 top Zone foods” or “Enter the Zone” and learn how to take a nutrient breakdown label and convert it to blocks.
It will make you able to operate independently and figure this sort of thing out for yourself.

Signature 

Craig Massey

“The point of CF is to get better at life.  Being unable to workout tomorrow because you were pigheaded today is not in line with our goals.”
Garddawg - 22 March 2009

“CrossFit is not dangerous.
Bad coaching is dangerous, poor movement is dangerous. Ego is dangerous.
CrossFit, properly scaled to the individual is the safest and most efficient program available for strength, conditioning and movement.”
BlueBugofJustice - 18 August 2009

Posted: 16 August 2009 01:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
Joined  2007-01-08

Apologies, it’s at the other end of the cycle, coconut milk while it’s still milk. Not the coconut milk you get in cans, that’s processed coconut meat.

If the nutrient breakdown matches what’s shown here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coconut_water then it’s pretty much block free unless consumed in extraordinary quantities.
If they’ve added other ingredients then you need to check the nutrient values on the label.

Signature 

Craig Massey

“The point of CF is to get better at life.  Being unable to workout tomorrow because you were pigheaded today is not in line with our goals.”
Garddawg - 22 March 2009

CrossFit, properly scaled to the individual is the safest and most efficient program available for strength, conditioning and movement.”

Posted: 16 August 2009 06:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Pack Member
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  280
Joined  2009-04-28

Well, “Zico” brand contains 100% Coconut Water.
and the “Harvest Bay” brand contains 100% coconut water
100% Fat free, zero cholesterol and 65 calories,contains more potassium then banana’s. sounds to me it’s 0 blocks? I figured to use it to help swallow down my after WOD snack and dump in my coffee.

thanks guys for your imput.

Signature 

I practice Pseudo-Science!!!

Posted: 16 August 2009 07:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Administrator
Joined  2007-01-08

Yep, I’d say regard it as 0 blocks.

Signature 

Craig Massey

Garddawg - 22 March 2009

Posted: 10 October 2009 05:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Puppy Dawg
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2009-10-10

Coconut water has 16g of sugar/carbs per serving….............

Posted: 12 July 2010 08:47 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Puppy Dawg
Rank
Total Posts:  9
Joined  2010-03-18

(sorry to revive a thread from October ...)

Yes, I too drink the Coconut Water (not milk). It’s very refreshing before & after WODs and it has much, much less sugar than sports drinks. It seems to give you a good boost of energy.

I’m reading about Zone myself and was curious to see how to factor in drinks such as these. I do not yet have “Enter the Zone” but it seems I will need to pick up a copy - because there are 12 grams of sugar in a 14 OZ bottle of the Zico brand, and so a conversion to blocks is necessary.

There are also 569mg of Potassium & 160mg of Salt. Zero fat, Zero Protein in one 14 oz bottle.

Signature 

My WOD LOG: http://beyondthewhiteboard.com/members/18864

Posted: 12 July 2010 09:35 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Total Posts:  8569
Joined  2004-07-08

The drinks are not a part of the blks per say, but I would be more concerned with the sugar.

Signature 

In God we Trust all others we monitor

Posted: 12 July 2010 01:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Top Dawg
Total Posts:  2357
Joined  2009-06-05

Well the only thing that matters are the macronutrients. So protein fat and carbs. These all are brokendown for calories. Everything else (micronutrients) arent used for calories. So if it has calories it should technically be counted. Fruit juices and such usually have quite a bit of sugar (carbs) from either natural or unnatural sources. Each block of carbs is 9g or carbohydrates. So 12g of sugar would be about 1 block of carbs.

Signature 

23/M/6’4”/222
Started crossfit 5/1/2009 265#‘s
“No matter whom you are you have weaknesses and Crossfit will shed light on those weaknesses, enabling you to work on them.” Me
“Mastroj is a tsunami on the Eastern Seaboard . . . ” TexasPatrick
Look me up on facebook facebook.com/mastroj