Crossfit Football/Crossfit Endurance
Posted: 16 August 2009 12:21 PM   [ Ignore ]
Pack Member
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  120
Joined  2009-01-01

I was reading the Crossfit journal about Shane Skowron, who became the youngest finisher of a 100 mile race at 20 years old.

He said he used the Crossfit mainsite workouts, Crossfit football, and Crossfit Endurance workouts all combined.  He shows 40 days or so, and has a blog to look at.

I’ve never even heard of the Crossfit Football, so I was wondering if you guys know anything about it. I went to their website, which doesn’t explain a whole lot even though they have plenty of exercises to do. I don’t understand all the in-season, off-season workouts posted right next to each other.

So I’m curious. Is one system better than the others? Is the football program better than the main WOD? I’ve been doing crossfit at my house for about 8 months now, faithfully following the mainsite and Garddawg’s scalings. [Btw, THANK YOU VERY MUCH GARDDAWG, and everyone else!].  I pretty much stick to the Big Dawg/Pack workouts, but scale the weights back when I have to.

Glad I’ve stuck with this even through the aches and pains!

Thanks in advance for your opinions.

Signature 

M/37/172/5’9”

Posted: 16 August 2009 12:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  9841
Joined  2007-01-08

Moved from Jeff and Dan’s corner.

Signature 

Craig Massey

“The point of CF is to get better at life.  Being unable to workout tomorrow because you were pigheaded today is not in line with our goals.”
Garddawg - 22 March 2009

“CrossFit is not dangerous.
Bad coaching is dangerous, poor movement is dangerous. Ego is dangerous.
CrossFit, properly scaled to the individual is the safest and most efficient program available for strength, conditioning and movement.”
BlueBugofJustice - 18 August 2009

Posted: 16 August 2009 01:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Total Posts:  13295
Joined  2007-01-30

Not “better” unless the question is “for what purpose would they be better”. 

Crossfit = general physical preparedness.

Crossfit Football =  An an attempt to make crossfit more specific to the needs of a football player.

Crossfit Endurance = crossfit for all the skinny fasts who love to go long . . .

Crossfit Strength Bias = crossfit for all the guys and gals who like to lift heavy stuff off the floor, push it in the air . . .

Signature 

The common denominator of success—- the secret of success of every man who has ever been successful—- lies in the fact that he formed the habit of doing things that failures don’t like to do.—Albert Grey

“Really Connor? Really?”—Jeff Martin

http://rantopedia.blogspot.com/ (my blog)
http://www.facebook.com/patrick.hoffman1

M-47/5’11”/180lbs

There’s a reason they don’t call it “Fight Gone Good”.

Posted: 16 August 2009 01:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
Total Posts:  9841
Joined  2007-01-08
TexasPatrick - 16 August 2009 01:06 PM

Crossfit Strength Bias = crossfit for all the guys who like to lift heavy stuff off the floor, push it in the air . . .

And who have already been doing “ordinary” Crossfit for some time.

Signature 

Craig Massey

“The point of CF is to get better at life.  Being unable to workout tomorrow because you were pigheaded today is not in line with our goals.”
Garddawg - 22 March 2009

“CrossFit is not dangerous.
Bad coaching is dangerous, poor movement is dangerous. Ego is dangerous.
CrossFit, properly scaled to the individual is the safest and most efficient program available for strength, conditioning and movement.”
BlueBugofJustice - 18 August 2009

Posted: 16 August 2009 02:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Top Dawg
Total Posts:  3096
Joined  2007-03-26

Crossfit Strength Bias = crossfit for all the guys who like to lift heavy stuff off the floor, push it in the air . . .

and girls

(Assuming tho that you used the word “guys” generically, as I always do.)

Signature 

“Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ‘Wow - what a Ride!’” -Peter Sage

Posted: 16 August 2009 02:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Joined  2007-01-30
FirmDancer - 16 August 2009 02:23 PM

and girls

(Assuming tho that you used the word “guys” generically, as I always do.)

Guys and Gals. Yes. Edited for inclusion.

Signature 

The common denominator of success—- the secret of success of every man who has ever been successful—- lies in the fact that he formed the habit of doing things that failures don’t like to do.—Albert Grey

M-47/5’11”/180lbs

Posted: 05 October 2009 04:59 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Pack Member
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  142
Joined  2008-08-07

Hey guys, long time since posting…I’m super keen to give the Crossfit Endurance program a try in conjunction with my normal CF training, but can’t find the links on the mainsite or on BrandX with CFE Wods…are they under the CF Journal? (of which I’m not yet a subscriber?)  would really apreciate a click in the right direction smile

Signature 

“Winners never quit…and quitters never Win”

“Sometimes with the pack…sometimes with the puppies…and sometimes with the big dawgs…as long as your running!”

Posted: 05 October 2009 05:28 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Pack Member
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-08-07

Forgive me…I just found the crossfit endurance website…DOPE!! I just wanted to know after skimming through it, I just wanted to know if anyone could answer this question…Should there be any kind of scaling on the endurance WODS? or should you just go as they are?

Signature 

“Sometimes with the pack…sometimes with the puppies…and sometimes with the big dawgs…as long as your running!”

Posted: 05 October 2009 05:50 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Joined  2007-01-30
Squirly Jack - 05 October 2009 05:28 AM

Forgive me…I just found the crossfit endurance website…DOPE!! I just wanted to know after skimming through it, I just wanted to know if anyone could answer this question…Should there be any kind of scaling on the endurance WODS? or should you just go as they are?

SJ,

don’t know about scaling.  I assume that you could just use a 50%/75%/100% type scaling. 

Here’s what they say from the FAQ, in reference to when you’re not used to CF mainsite, but here you go:

How should I start incorporating Crossfit into my workout plan? I tried Crossfit and I can’t do more than one WOD a week because I am so sore!

Start with the main site WOD at http://www.crossfit.com

Take as much recovery as you need.

Shoot for one day on, one day off; then two days on, one day off; then the prescribed three days on, one day off.

Next put one day CF plus the CF Endurance WOD in the same day, one day off; two days CF plus CF Endurance, one day off; three days CF plus CF Endurance, one day off. 

Work up to being able to do 4-6 CrossFit work outs per week. This process may take a month or more.  Do not rush your body.  Let it learn what you are now demanding of it.  It will adapt.

Don’t assume you need to do a lot of sport specifc training… we have plenty of elite level athletes who CrossFit more then they train for sport. Your number one goal should be to CrossFit 4-6 times per week… 2nd goal is to have the ability to do 2-3 sport specific workouts per week. Tempo or Time Trial days should always be on a CrossFit rest day.

Take the time to learn the skills, or in some cases relearn them.

Signature 

M-47/5’11”/180lbs

Posted: 05 October 2009 06:38 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Pack Member
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-08-07

Awesome!  So you should be doing CF Wods as per normal 3 on & 1 day off, with doing 2 CFE Wods on 2 of the 6 on days as well as the CF wod, and then the TT wod on the 1 of your 2 off days…Sho its kinda hectic…I was thinking of replacing one of the normal CF wods in the 3 day cycle with a CFE WOD instead…and then keeping the 3 on 1 off cycle…thanks for the help TP! nice to be back on the boards

Signature 

Posted: 05 October 2009 06:42 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Total Posts:  8570
Joined  2004-07-08
Squirly Jack - 05 October 2009 06:38 AM

Awesome!  So you should be doing CF Wods as per normal 3 on & 1 day off, with doing 2 CFE Wods on 2 of the 6 on days as well as the CF wod, and then the TT wod on the 1 of your 2 off days…Sho its kinda hectic…I was thinking of replacing one of the normal CF wods in the 3 day cycle with a CFE WOD instead…and then keeping the 3 on 1 off cycle…thanks for the help TP! nice to be back on the boards

That would be fine also.

Signature 

In God we Trust all others we monitor

Posted: 05 October 2009 06:44 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Joined  2007-01-30
Squirly Jack - 05 October 2009 06:38 AM

glad to have you back!

Signature 

M-47/5’11”/180lbs