Pull-Ups
Posted: 29 August 2009 10:26 AM   [ Ignore ]
Hound
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  84
Joined  2009-05-26

I have been Crossfitting for about 4 months now. I am in the best overall shape I have ever been in! I am progressing great in everything but pull-ups. This is a very important excercise in CF. I can do maybe 8-10 strict pullups on a good day. I am unable to do kipping cause I currently work out of town and all the pull-up bars I have access to are very low(and I am about 6’2”). Sometimes I almost have to do a L pull-up. I have tried to suppliment pull-ups but I was actually getting worse, so I just do them now with the CFWU and if they are called for in the WOD. I would not really be concerned but I just am not getting any better with them.

Should I try supplimenting again and just stick with it longer? I do have rings as well for possible rows.

Any suggestions appreciated!

Signature 

Pressure makes diamonds.

38/M/6’2” 210lbs

Posted: 29 August 2009 12:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  14119
Joined  2004-06-18

Have you tried mixing your grip?

Signature 

All of life’s problems can be solved by heavy deadlifts.

M/54/5’11”/190

Posted: 29 August 2009 03:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Hound
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-05-26

Not really I guess I could try chin-ups but that is different from pull-ups and uses different muscles. I do know in the past I could do more chin-ups than pull-ups.

Signature 

Pressure makes diamonds.

38/M/6’2” 210lbs

Posted: 29 August 2009 04:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
Total Posts:  14119
Joined  2004-06-18

We don’t really look at “using different muscles”.  When the WOD calls for pull ups Coach means, and has stated, I don’t care how you get your ****** chin over the bar as long as it gets over the bar.  Chin ups, pull ups or mixed grip doesn’t matter.

Signature 

All of life’s problems can be solved by heavy deadlifts.

M/54/5’11”/190

Posted: 29 August 2009 05:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Total Posts:  13300
Joined  2007-01-30
blunite - 29 August 2009 03:23 PM

Not really I guess I could try chin-ups but that is different from pull-ups and uses different muscles. I do know in the past I could do more chin-ups than pull-ups.

One of the monsters in my old affiliate would use a mixed grip and he has a 2:30 fran . . .  On helen we’d still all be on first round swings when he’d be out the door . . .

Also, 4 months isn’t that long.  Took me well over a year to go from 3 non kipping to 20+ kipping. 

TP.

Signature 

The common denominator of success—- the secret of success of every man who has ever been successful—- lies in the fact that he formed the habit of doing things that failures don’t like to do.—Albert Grey

“Really Connor? Really?”—Jeff Martin

http://rantopedia.blogspot.com/ (my blog)
http://www.facebook.com/patrick.hoffman1

M-47/5’11”/180lbs

There’s a reason they don’t call it “Fight Gone Good”.

Posted: 29 August 2009 06:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Hound
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-05-26

Thanks, I will try a different grip and yes 4 months hasn’t been that long I have just seen alot of improvement in other things. PATIENCE!

Signature 

Pressure makes diamonds.

38/M/6’2” 210lbs

Posted: 15 September 2009 07:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Pack Member
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  253
Joined  2009-09-14

I have been doing a 100 day pull up challenge which has worked for me.  One of the affiliates here in Australia started it and I got on board.  Pull ups have always been a weak exercise for me and I thought this challenge was a great way to concentrate on a movement, which was weak, and improve.  The challenge is 1 p/up day 1, 2 p/up day 2, 3 p/up day 3 and so on.  The rules were…the p/ups could be done as part of a WOD (example CINDY) or done seperately.  If p/ups were missed for one day then they had to be made up the next day along with that days p/ups (not very good when you miss day 80 and have to add that to day 81).  If you do more p/ups in a WOD than was prescribed for that day the excess does not carry over.

Basically prior to starting this I was able to do a max of 6 to 8 p/ups in a row.  I found my grip strength was very weak and I was gassed very quickly.  WODS like CINDY, HELEN and NICOLE all suffered due to my inability to perform well in p/ups.

Since the challenge I can easily push out regular sets of 15 p/ups(unbroken) in WODS.  My times in the mentioned WODS have all drastrically dropped and I can say that p/ups, once something that I hated, are a part of my WODS that I look forward to now.  My grip strength is now really good and this is transferring through to some of the O lifts.  WODS with 100 or more p/ups are now something that I can get through doing high reps all the way through.

I found that constant practice has improved my p/ups.  I was doing some of the p/ups as part of a warm up and others at differing parts of the day.  When you get to day 50 and up it becomes a real mind over matter deal.  It worked for me….food for thought.

Cheers Buff

Signature 

Cheers Buff

m/35/185lb/6ft

Crossfit b/day 2 March 09

“If you can’t laugh at yourself what gives you the right to laugh at anybody else.”