What are your observations about CrossFitter’s improvements over the years?
Posted: 06 September 2009 07:59 PM   [ Ignore ]
Top Dawg
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1131
Joined  2008-05-23

I’m really interested in hearing your thoughts about what you’ve observed over the years (at Brand X ) regarding Crossfitters improving over the years…

The reason I ask is that I’d love to know if your athletes (of all ages) have hit any plateaus for an extenede period?

Or have you found that they consistently increase their work capacity? Or something completely different?

I’m still very new to CrossFit (1year 1/2 being more consistent) and I think I have some paradigm shifts to make about understanding what is possible with my own performance and capacity before I can fully beleive in my ability to reach it….

Looking forward to reading your observations and thoughts! Many thanks for your time worship

Signature 

GOALS 2014

Complete 100km Ultramarathon - under 12hrs - 30th Aug 2014

By July 1st 2014 complete
1 RM DL @ 185kg (Unknown)
DH PU 25 reps (13 reps)
KBsn 24kg 100 reps + in 5min (unknown)

Current condition in brackets as of 24/12/2013

Posted: 06 September 2009 10:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Top Dawg
Total Posts:  7683
Joined  2004-08-09

I have watched many, many CrossFitters progress through the years at Brand X.

Consistently, I find that people who continue to put in the work and follow the advice of skilled trainers, and are not afraid to walk the line between excellence and failure, never seem to hit a permanent plateau.

Sure, there is always something with which you feel you struggle to gain even the smallest improvement (for me it’s push ups), but I’ve never seen a person who puts their heart and sweat into their fitness goals just fail get better and better, even if in small ways or in ways that sometimes don’t seem measurable.

Of course, often, people hit a temporary plateau….but variety and a change of tactic usually overcomes that, especially with the great training and coaching at BX.

Signature 

We have too many heroes lost and not enough workout days to commemorate them. I think it’s fitting to always think of the men and women in service, whether military or peace officers and public safety, as we do our workouts. A bit of motivation to throw a little of our sweat and maybe a drop of blood on the floor in their honor.

http://laurarcrossfit.blogspot.com

There is no substitute for good coaching.

Posted: 07 September 2009 08:43 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
Total Posts:  14120
Joined  2004-06-18

I have never seen a plateau or stall in progress that cannot be attributed to improper rest and recovery or undisciplined nutritional intake.

Signature 

All of life’s problems can be solved by heavy deadlifts.

M/54/5’11”/190

Posted: 11 September 2009 08:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
Total Posts:  5197
Joined  2004-06-22

thread killer.

But he is right. On the Martial Arts side we see many people stop at brown belt. It is a clear indicator of an unwillingness to come to grips with a character issue that must be overcome to progress, an inability to see oneself as imperfect, an unwillingness to correct a habit- such as inconsistency, lack of self discipline, or simply time practicing. Achieving a Brown belt usually signifies technical competence, single minded pursuit of the mental aspects are what get the student to Black.

With CrossFit there are similar parallels. Overcoming the desire to quit, or even just back off can be extremely difficult.
The synergy of diet and exercise applied at full intensity, with full attention to detail will yield results that cannot be described without people thinking that it cannot be- but the truth is magnificent. However, the will to pursue it unequivocally is rare.

Signature 

“No man who refuses to bear arms in defense of his nation can give a sound reason why he should be allowed to live in a free country”  T. Roosevelt

“The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who are not.”  Thomas Jefferson”

“History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or the timid” - Gen Eisenhower.

Posted: 17 September 2009 09:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Top Dawg
Total Posts:  1131
Joined  2008-05-23
Garddawg - 07 September 2009 08:43 AM

I have never seen a plateau or stall in progress that cannot be attributed to improper rest and recovery or undisciplined nutritional intake.

“thread killer.

But he is right. On the Martial Arts side we see many people stop at brown belt. It is a clear indicator of an unwillingness to come to grips with a character issue that must be overcome to progress, an inability to see oneself as imperfect, an unwillingness to correct a habit- such as inconsistency, lack of self discipline, or simply time practicing. Achieving a Brown belt usually signifies technical competence, single minded pursuit of the mental aspects are what get the student to Black.

With CrossFit there are similar parallels. Overcoming the desire to quit, or even just back off can be extremely difficult.
The synergy of diet and exercise applied at full intensity, with full attention to detail will yield results that cannot be described without people thinking that it cannot be- but the truth is magnificent. However, the will to pursue it unequivocally is rare.”

Thank you for your input! Heard and understood. Not having been on the journey for long, and not surrounded by CF’ers in God’s own (NZ) its great to hear from those who have gone far far ahead of where I’m at, thank you again.

Signature 

GOALS 2014

Complete 100km Ultramarathon - under 12hrs - 30th Aug 2014

By July 1st 2014 complete
1 RM DL @ 185kg (Unknown)
DH PU 25 reps (13 reps)
KBsn 24kg 100 reps + in 5min (unknown)

Current condition in brackets as of 24/12/2013