Coaching Question : Front Squat / Back squat Strength ratio?
Posted: 15 September 2009 09:01 PM   [ Ignore ]
Top Dawg
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1131
Joined  2008-05-23

Is there a Front Squat/ Back squat strength ratio?

For example is 1rm FS/BS of 85/120 in proportion? Or does it suggest a lack of FS ability compared to BS?

Thank you grin

Signature 

GOALS 2014

Complete 100km Ultramarathon - under 12hrs - 30th Aug 2014

By July 1st 2014 complete
1 RM DL @ 185kg (Unknown)
DH PU 25 reps (13 reps)
KBsn 24kg 100 reps + in 5min (unknown)

Current condition in brackets as of 24/12/2013

Posted: 15 September 2009 10:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Total Posts:  8591
Joined  2004-07-08

You will generally lift more on the BS than the FS.

Signature 

In God we Trust all others we monitor

Posted: 16 September 2009 01:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Top Dawg
Total Posts:  858
Joined  2005-05-16

The front squat should be around 90% of the back squat, assuming it’s a high-bar, Oympic-style deep squat. Less if it’s a shallower, low-bar powerlifting style squat.

Signature 

Lincoln Brigham
USAW, CSCS, Crossfit

http://www.gryphon-sc.com
51M/6’1”/170-ish

Posted: 16 September 2009 09:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
Total Posts:  5197
Joined  2004-06-22

seems like a fairly common proportion or ratio as we see in a standard population. Are you a CrossFitter or a Lifter ?

Signature 

“No man who refuses to bear arms in defense of his nation can give a sound reason why he should be allowed to live in a free country”  T. Roosevelt

“The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who are not.”  Thomas Jefferson”

“History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or the timid” - Gen Eisenhower.

Posted: 17 September 2009 09:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Top Dawg
Joined  2008-05-23

I’m a humble CF’er, I tend to use the Low Bar back squat and I think this has left my quads most neglected in comparison to my posterior chain?

If I use a figure of 80% of LB BS for a sensible FS weight that hits 96kg and I’m quite a bit lower at just over 80kg.

Not sure if this is a big lacking, it just feels like one I guess! grin

Signature 

GOALS 2014

DH PU 25 reps (13 reps)

Posted: 18 September 2009 04:11 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Top Dawg
Total Posts:  2217
Joined  2007-05-06

Last time ME front squats came up was it your legs that failed or was it your core?  I think the limiter for most people’s front squat is core strength.

Posted: 18 September 2009 09:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Top Dawg
Joined  2008-05-23

Pretty sure it was my legs.. I think…

Signature 

GOALS 2014

DH PU 25 reps (13 reps)

Posted: 18 September 2009 11:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Administrator
Total Posts:  9879
Joined  2007-01-08
Pete - 17 September 2009 09:51 PM

I’m a humble CF’er, I tend to use the Low Bar back squat and I think this has left my quads most neglected in comparison to my posterior chain?

If I use a figure of 80% of LB BS for a sensible FS weight that hits 96kg and I’m quite a bit lower at just over 80kg.

Common according to Greg Everret.
He’s said most CFers are hamstring dominant squatters, which works against you for the Olympic lifts and obviously for front squats.
Personally I have knee problems that are a direct result of being quad dominant and intentionally trying to make myself more so in my misguided bodybuilding style training youth. I want to take a baseball bat to my younger self sometimes, or at least chain him to a desk with a printed copy of every CF journal.

Quad dominance has severe repercussions. I don’t know of anything that hamstring dominance causes issues with of the top of my head. I’m not saying you shouldn’t try and even things up, but if I had to choose (and becuase of the knee problems I do) I choose hamstring dominance.

Signature 

Craig Massey

“The point of CF is to get better at life.  Being unable to workout tomorrow because you were pigheaded today is not in line with our goals.”
Garddawg - 22 March 2009

“CrossFit is not dangerous.
Bad coaching is dangerous, poor movement is dangerous. Ego is dangerous.
CrossFit, properly scaled to the individual is the safest and most efficient program available for strength, conditioning and movement.”
BlueBugofJustice - 18 August 2009

Posted: 19 September 2009 01:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Top Dawg
Joined  2008-05-23
Metric - 18 September 2009 11:12 PM
Pete - 17 September 2009 09:51 PM

Common according to Greg Everret.
He’s said most CFers are hamstring dominant squatters, which works against you for the Olympic lifts and obviously for front squats.
Personally I have knee problems that are a direct result of being quad dominant and intentionally trying to make myself more so in my misguided bodybuilding style training youth. I want to take a baseball bat to my younger self sometimes, or at least chain him to a desk with a printed copy of every CF journal.

Quad dominance has severe repercussions. I don’t know of anything that hamstring dominance causes issues with of the top of my head. I’m not saying you shouldn’t try and even things up, but if I had to choose (and becuase of the knee problems I do) I choose hamstring dominance.

Thats bloody interesting! I can think of stupid fitness things I did earlier in my life… still I guess without them I wouldn’t have found CF!

I guess it wouldn’t hurt to add some practice sets of FS to my warm ups- nothing crazy weight wise, perhaps a CFSB day every cycle?

Signature 

GOALS 2014

DH PU 25 reps (13 reps)

Posted: 19 September 2009 01:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Administrator
Total Posts:  9879
Joined  2007-01-08
Pete - 19 September 2009 01:01 PM

Thats bloody interesting! I can think of stupid fitness things I did earlier in my life… still I guess without them I wouldn’t have found CF!

I guess it wouldn’t hurt to add some practice sets of FS to my warm ups- nothing crazy weight wise, perhaps a CFSB day every cycle?

Jumping all over the concept of “Jeff and Dan’s corner” here, but yes. FS are a weakpoint and you should address that. Using a CFSB style rep structure in your warm-up every so often seems a sensible way to do it to me.

Signature 

Craig Massey

“The point of CF is to get better at life.  Being unable to workout tomorrow because you were pigheaded today is not in line with our goals.”
Garddawg - 22 March 2009

“CrossFit is not dangerous.
Bad coaching is dangerous, poor movement is dangerous. Ego is dangerous.
CrossFit, properly scaled to the individual is the safest and most efficient program available for strength, conditioning and movement.”
BlueBugofJustice - 18 August 2009

Posted: 24 September 2009 11:19 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Top Dawg
Total Posts:  1391
Joined  2006-01-31

I think Greg was referring to the eventual biomechanical habits and differences people have with back squatting and front squatting.  You want to have a good balance with quad and hamstring strength to keep your knee in check.