Deadlift Question
Posted: 22 September 2009 05:07 PM   [ Ignore ]
Puppy Dawg
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2009-09-14

O.K. so I was doing the mainsite workout today for deadlift and I realized how much improvement I need there.  I am very skittish about this lift.  I threw my back out in middle school and since then have been very careful not to run into that again.  I don’t know what I did to throw it out, it kinda just happened.  So yeah I went to do 205 and did that O.K.  but when I tried to do 225 I can get it off the ground, and I know I can do it, but when my back tenses up too much I just don’t want to push it.  I don’t have any hitches or anything but I can’t seem to get my mind to push it a little and use my muscles.  In the other lifts such as squat and bench, I can push myself and not be afraid to hurt myself because I am more familiar with the lifts.  So to get to my question, is this just something that I should work on form, form, form?  Then as I get confident I can push it?

Posted: 22 September 2009 05:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  9769
Joined  2007-01-08

Form ALWAYS comes first.
ALWAYS!

If you’re scared, get someone to watch you and have them be brutally honest while you’re lifting.
Then when you’re hitting good reps, start increasing the weight.
But little steps. 2.5kg, so umm, 5.x pounds at a time.

Sneak up on your limits, don’t throw yourself headlong at them, fail, hurt yourself and reinforce the “I have a bad back so I can’t deadlift” cycle.
Start easy, ramp up slowly and steadily. Get some confidence in your technique before it gets hard.

Signature 

Craig Massey

“The point of CF is to get better at life.  Being unable to workout tomorrow because you were pigheaded today is not in line with our goals.”
Garddawg - 22 March 2009

“CrossFit is not dangerous.
Bad coaching is dangerous, poor movement is dangerous. Ego is dangerous.
CrossFit, properly scaled to the individual is the safest and most efficient program available for strength, conditioning and movement.”
BlueBugofJustice - 18 August 2009

Posted: 22 September 2009 05:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Top Dawg
Total Posts:  2357
Joined  2009-06-05

Metric is so right on this. Posting a good number on the forum is only for you to keep track of your weights and for others to congratulate you. But that is it! What I am trying to say is never push yourself when you think your form is questionable no matter the reason. When I am dead lifting I fail when my back curls at all. Once I feel my back bend I drop the weight. It is a great lift but when you have a couple hundred on the bar and your back curls you arent using the right muscles to lift, you might be able to get it up like this but that doesnt mean you will be able to stand after wards. You are right the way you are thinking about this, I just want to reinforce the fact that safety along with form is vital.

Keep it up.

Signature 

23/M/6’4”/222
Started crossfit 5/1/2009 265#‘s
“No matter whom you are you have weaknesses and Crossfit will shed light on those weaknesses, enabling you to work on them.” Me
“Mastroj is a tsunami on the Eastern Seaboard . . . ” TexasPatrick
Look me up on facebook facebook.com/mastroj

Posted: 22 September 2009 07:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Total Posts:  8533
Joined  2004-07-08

Don’t push it. Your not doing yourself any good if your hurt. I personally had the same issues going on coming back after a lower back niggle. Just take it slow. Maybe hit that 205 with a lil high rep. instead of going up. Listen to your body.

Signature 

In God we Trust all others we monitor

Posted: 04 January 2010 12:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Mutt
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  49
Joined  2009-11-23

I’m a newbie too, had comparable issues in HS and also run into this sort of thing with DL.  Biggest night/day form thing for me is making sure you really dig in with your heels and keep your head tilted up.  I also try not to face a mirror when I deadlift so I don’t get tempted to level my head off.  Hope it helps.

Signature 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ixzEcIY8SI&feature=player_embedded

started (12/09): m/28/6’0”/190
Today (2/19/10): m/28/6’0”/201

2010 CF goals:

1000 CF total
20 strict pullups

Posted: 04 January 2010 12:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Administrator
Total Posts:  9769
Joined  2007-01-08
ahahah - 04 January 2010 12:09 PM

I’m a newbie too, had comparable issues in HS and also run into this sort of thing with DL.  Biggest night/day form thing for me is making sure you really dig in with your heels and keep your head tilted up.  I also try not to face a mirror when I deadlift so I don’t get tempted to level my head off.  Hope it helps.

Umm, sorry, but no.
I’ll agree that your weight shouldn’t be on your toes, but it should be more mid-foot than on your heels. Of the two, heels is better I grant you.

However your head should absolutely be in line with your spine or at very worst looking straight forward. For a deadlift that will have most people looking at the ground 5 to 10 feet in front of them at the start and scanning upward until they’re looking out out the horizon at the top.

Excessive cervical curvature during a deadlift is very very bad.

Signature 

Craig Massey

“The point of CF is to get better at life.  Being unable to workout tomorrow because you were pigheaded today is not in line with our goals.”
Garddawg - 22 March 2009

“CrossFit is not dangerous.
Bad coaching is dangerous, poor movement is dangerous. Ego is dangerous.
CrossFit, properly scaled to the individual is the safest and most efficient program available for strength, conditioning and movement.”
BlueBugofJustice - 18 August 2009

Posted: 04 January 2010 01:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Mutt
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  49
Joined  2009-11-23

Hey, guess I learned something. sorry for bad advice earlier.

Signature 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ixzEcIY8SI&feature=player_embedded

started (12/09): m/28/6’0”/190
Today (2/19/10): m/28/6’0”/201

2010 CF goals:

1000 CF total
20 strict pullups

‹‹ Muscle Up WOD scaling      I missed a WOD! ››