Need help with smart start
Posted: 12 October 2009 10:10 AM   [ Ignore ]
Puppy Dawg
Rank
Total Posts:  10
Joined  2009-10-12

Hi Mikki,

I’ve been browsing the forum a couple of days now and figured I could ask you.  I’m 5’6” and 250lbs.  I plan on joining the Army in the next 6 months, but need to slim down.  I know running is big for going to basic training, but how do I start smart?  I try to job/walk/run now, but everything hurts and eventually I just end up walking.  I don’t want to injure myself, but want to reap the benefits of the best fat burning cardio.  I run outside as I don’t have a gym membership, so any advise would be appreciated.

Posted: 12 October 2009 10:24 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8601
Joined  2004-07-08

I’m not Mikki, but here’s some advice. If the running hurts right now, then just walking is fine. Slowly add a light run in with the walk. Then a little more and soon you will be running.

Signature 

In God we Trust all others we monitor

Posted: 20 October 2009 06:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5197
Joined  2004-06-22

Maria
Six months is a long time, you can gradually increase your distances over time.
Try alternating broad jumps or lunges when you have to stop running. Keep your body moving. One good method we have heard about is to run in an area where there are some telephone or light poles to use as markers to stop and do other exercises, a few squats, Push up or whatever progression to a Push Up that you can do.
Begin to attempt the CF WOD as scaled. If this is too much use the CFK site to begin with.
A lot of this probably will “hurt” and make you sore, as it should.
Workouts that do not do this are not challenging enough for
efficient progress. Keep your goal in mind and keep moving. When you have to stop one exercise- don’t simply stop- change the exercise.
Have you looked at the Paleo Zone Eating in the Nutrition section ? Even small changes in diet may help you lose weight faster ,
feel better and be motivated to continue towards your goal

Signature 

“No man who refuses to bear arms in defense of his nation can give a sound reason why he should be allowed to live in a free country”  T. Roosevelt

“The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who are not.”  Thomas Jefferson”

“History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or the timid” - Gen Eisenhower.

Posted: 21 October 2009 05:21 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Puppy Dawg
Rank
Total Posts:  10
Joined  2009-10-12

THank you for your advise.  I am doing much better.  I’ve been timing my mile run/walk and I’m currently at 12:44 which is pretty impressive for me wink The WOD scaled versions have been awesome, I really like this site and the workouts that are posted.  I am definetly using muscles that I haven’t for a while.  Went to a weight loss doctor and he put me on a new diet - reminds me of south beach, but with a calorie restriction and prescribed some appetite suppresants.  Hopefully this will jump start my weight loss tremendously.  Thanks again!