Back-Hip Extension Question
Posted: 22 October 2009 04:19 AM   [ Ignore ]
Mutt
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  37
Joined  2009-08-10

The city I am in has no xfit gym. The best I can find is a body-builder type place with a couple good power racks. They dont’ have a back extension bench (not sure of the correct term) there. Instead they have about 8 of these things:
Maximus-Fitness-MX-560-Hyperextension-Bench-Weight-Bench_0_145x145.jpg

The last time I used it to do GH Sit-Ups, by hip was bothering me for a few days afterwords and I actually had to take a couple days off. Would you experts recommend I do something else or use this bench again?

Thanks.

Signature 

M/35, 6’2, 190lbs.

“Advanced Basics. Thats what I call my style. You just get your solid moves and shove it down their throat over and over until they give up. Thats what jiu-jitsu is all about”

BJ Penn

Posted: 22 October 2009 11:37 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8637
Joined  2004-07-08

It looks like the hip and back ext. would be ok to do on this, but I would not do GHD sit ups on it.

Signature 

In God we Trust all others we monitor

Posted: 22 October 2009 01:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Top Dawg
Total Posts:  3369
Joined  2006-02-17

Actually, be really careful doing back extensions on this (actually don’t do them!).  On a GHD the biggest ROM you can reach is about 90 degrees which will put a stretch on the average athlete’s hamstrings.  On these things you are looking at 120 degrees or more.  By the time you have hit “full” ROM you have run out of hamstring and are well into lumbar flexion.  I reckon you would be better off with lightweight good mornings or super mans as a sub for back/ hip extensions.  Also concur with Big D that GHD sit ups would not be wise

Cheers, kempie

Signature 

Take a deep breath ... Now do it again!
http://www.crossfitnortheastengland.com

BX Coaching Gold - “your doing all the right stuff its just coming out all wrong. “
CFSB Dummie’s Playground

Posted: 22 October 2009 01:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Top Dawg
Total Posts:  1391
Joined  2006-01-31

I would be very careful like Kempie said, but I would say as long as you understand and know your limits of flexibility, doing hip extensions on it shouldn’t be too bad.

As far as GH Sit Ups go.. your hip was probably hurting from several things, not the least is _over_ _extension_ of the lumbar.  Don’t ever do those on that thing again.  You do not want to mobilize your lumbar spine ever.  If your spine is analogous to a fishing pole, you want that bottom part to be stiff and strong as hell.  You don’t want it loosey goosey and not helping to support the rest of your skeletal structure.

Posted: 22 October 2009 02:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Top Dawg
Total Posts:  2357
Joined  2009-06-05

I do hip extension on this, and just to clarify so I am not confusing things, this is with my entire back rigid and me flexing at the hip. This is ok to be performed on these correct?

Signature 

23/M/6’4”/222
Started crossfit 5/1/2009 265#‘s
“No matter whom you are you have weaknesses and Crossfit will shed light on those weaknesses, enabling you to work on them.” Me
“Mastroj is a tsunami on the Eastern Seaboard . . . ” TexasPatrick
Look me up on facebook facebook.com/mastroj

Posted: 22 October 2009 02:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Top Dawg
Total Posts:  1391
Joined  2006-01-31

Yes, but depending on your flexibility, perform the movement just before the extension in your lumbar is lost.  Any farther and you’re basically just letting your lumbar spine bulge out.

Posted: 22 October 2009 03:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Top Dawg
Total Posts:  2357
Joined  2009-06-05

Thank you.

Signature 

23/M/6’4”/222
Started crossfit 5/1/2009 265#‘s
“No matter whom you are you have weaknesses and Crossfit will shed light on those weaknesses, enabling you to work on them.” Me
“Mastroj is a tsunami on the Eastern Seaboard . . . ” TexasPatrick
Look me up on facebook facebook.com/mastroj

Posted: 02 November 2009 07:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Administrator
Total Posts:  5197
Joined  2004-06-22

too risky- what gimpy said

Signature 

“No man who refuses to bear arms in defense of his nation can give a sound reason why he should be allowed to live in a free country”  T. Roosevelt

“The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who are not.”  Thomas Jefferson”

“History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or the timid” - Gen Eisenhower.