Kipping pullups and pain?
Posted: 30 October 2009 12:29 AM   [ Ignore ]
Pack Member
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  162
Joined  2009-10-12

So I got the kipping pullup down with a little practice, can fire off about 15 no problem, but after it kills my shoulder around the area where the anchor is, my doctor says its not damaging anything and I can go along with them. Yes he’s the doc but its my body I know my times will go up but Im leaning toward static pullups to avoid the pain? Any thoughts from the big men or anyone else who has had a shoulder surgrey that has had pain from kipping

Signature 

23/5’6/193#
edit* 23/5’6/189# as of 10/28/09
Southern Arizona Kid
Heard every joke about Danny Zuko from Grease but if you got one lemme hear it(last name is Zucco so try me) cool hmm

CF Bday Sept 19, ‘09

Posted: 30 October 2009 06:55 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8577
Joined  2004-07-08

Anytime you start doing something new or better range of motion your body will let your know. That’s normal.

Signature 

In God we Trust all others we monitor

Posted: 30 October 2009 07:50 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
Total Posts:  14119
Joined  2004-06-18

First of all, your not big.  Eddie Lugo weighs 250 and has 40+ pull ups.  Big John McKay at Brand X weighs about 220 and did a 130# weighted pull up last week.  A couple of things.  First if your shoulder hurts its telling you something.  Pain causes adaption.  Generally if its muscle pain that’s not a problem in fact it’s how we get stronger.  If however it’s pain in the joint the adaption will almost always be detrimental to health and performance of that joint.  Generally the pain is caused by “clunking”.  Clunking happens when the client free falls from the top of the pull up and catches themselves at the bottom.  Usually happens to people who try to do kipping pull ups before they have standard pull ups.

How many standard pull ups do you have.  Vid yourself doing kipping pull ups and post it to CF Movies.

Signature 

All of life’s problems can be solved by heavy deadlifts.

M/54/5’11”/190

Posted: 30 October 2009 03:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Top Dawg
Total Posts:  2357
Joined  2009-06-05

I agree, Pain is normal it just depends on what kind of pain. At 240, I can do 20+ kipping, and 85 pound weighted, so dont let your size slow you down, you can get there. I got fustrated for a while, in a few weeks though I felt like my pull ups werent really holding me back anymore, now there is other stuff. I think you need to ask yourself how much the pain really hurts, and as GD said what will come of the pain. Improvements or losses. Keep at it dont give it up just yet.

Signature 

23/M/6’4”/222
Started crossfit 5/1/2009 265#‘s
“No matter whom you are you have weaknesses and Crossfit will shed light on those weaknesses, enabling you to work on them.” Me
“Mastroj is a tsunami on the Eastern Seaboard . . . ” TexasPatrick
Look me up on facebook facebook.com/mastroj

Posted: 30 October 2009 06:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Pack Member
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-10-12
Garddawg - 30 October 2009 07:50 AM

First of all, your not big. Eddie Lugo weighs 250 and has 40+ pull ups. Big John McKay at Brand X weighs about 220 and did a 130# weighted pull up last week. A couple of things. First if your shoulder hurts its telling you something. Pain causes adaption. Generally if its muscle pain that’s not a problem in fact it’s how we get stronger. If however it’s pain in the joint the adaption will almost always be detrimental to health and performance of that joint. Generally the pain is caused by “clunking”. Clunking happens when the client free falls from the top of the pull up and catches themselves at the bottom. Usually happens to people who try to do kipping pull ups before they have standard pull ups.

How many standard pull ups do you have. Vid yourself doing kipping pull ups and post it to CF Movies.

Ill see what I can do video wise. Standard pullups is close to 35 and 12 dead hangs, Its not the clunking that you descirbe the pain is in the area of where I had surgrey on my shoulder just above the place where the anchor is, but it also maybe adaption cause that area hasnt been worked in like a long time til recently. Thats why I am worried. But I will try and hunt down some one with a video camera, if i didnt have a cheapy cell phone Id video tape it on that and upload it from there. I may also go to my local affiliate and have them check it out and see what they say. They do free classes on saturdays so that may be a viable option, since saturday is like 5 hours away for me. And I never said I was big, I was asking for thoughts from the big men, aka you GD or anyone else. Me im weaker than most, I think you took that out of context

Signature 

23/5’6/193#
Southern Arizona Kid
Heard every joke about Danny Zuko from Grease but if you got one lemme hear it(last name is Zucco so try me) cool hmm

CF Bday Sept 19, ‘09

Posted: 30 October 2009 06:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Pack Member
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-10-12

Thanks for the input though I never thought of it being that, just kinda took worst case scenario and ran with it, forgot to post that

Signature 

23/5’6/193#
Southern Arizona Kid

CF Bday Sept 19, ‘09

Posted: 01 November 2009 10:17 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Pack Member
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-10-12

So my local xfit box said i tend to lose control of my body around the tenth pullup and it leads to a clunking kind of motion. They said my form will get better as i get stronger and i perfect my form, thanks again guys

Signature 

23/5’6/193#
Southern Arizona Kid

CF Bday Sept 19, ‘09