CrossFit Journal Startup Guide, Part 1. - Help with programming to improve my squats
Posted: 12 November 2009 09:58 PM   [ Ignore ]
Pack Member
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  136
Joined  2009-02-26

Here is the link to the start-up guide.  A great read in my opinion.  http://journal.crossfit.com/2009/01/a-crossfit-startup-guide-part-1.tpl

I started back in February doing the workouts form Coach’s article from May of 2003 ( http://journal.crossfit.com/2003/05/beginners-workout-may-03-cfj-1.tpl ) because it seemed less threatening than scaling the WOD’s and I had the equipment.  Didn’t read enough of the FAQ to realize “squats” are air squats, though.  I found CrossFit through Starting Strength and felt I had worked out the kinks in my squat form.  I made it through 10 weeks with some repeated weeks due to missed workouts.  The most frequently missed workouts were the Friday squat workouts.  After reading this site, the Journal and the main site for 3 months I decided to start the buttercup scaled WODs.  I had read about mechanics, consistency and then intensity and continued the buttercup workouts for about two months.  My times were inline with others who were also scaling the WODs so I bumped up to the puppy scaled WODs.  I started to notice that I had a hard time with WODs with squats.  My times lagged a minute or two behind the group I was comparing myself to.  Then I found the first installment of the start-up guide and read it but never tested myself against the benchmarks in the article.  After 3 months of feeling like my squats were weak, I finally did a squat Tabata workout.  My score was 8 (lowest reps performed in any given interval) and I hit 12 for only the first 3 intervals.  I decided to stop the scaled WOD’s and to start working on improving my squat capacity as suggested in the start-up guide.  The guide is not specific on the programming one should use to work squat capacity but does have a list of corrections for common faults.  I read Coach’s squat article and practiced my form for a few days.  I wasn’t sure where to start with the workouts so I started using the CrossFit Silicon Valley Beginners Ladder ( http://journal.crossfit.com/2008/10/crossfit-sv-beginners-ladder.tpl ) along with squat only workouts.  The squat only workouts are either 8 sets of 12 for time or a progression, 21-18-15…3 for time.  I can complete these workouts in under 7 minutes.  When I use the ladder, I will either work up the rungs until my form breaks or the see how many times I can do a rung for a defined amount of time.  The last work out running the rungs was for 20 minutes and I got to rung 6 the first time, rung 4 the second time through and completed rung 1 the third time but ran out of time on rung 2.  I can do rung 3 (9 squats, 6 push ups and 3 band assisted pull ups) 12 times in 15 minutes.  It’s been a 6 weeks and I am not able complete a squat Tabata workout with a score of 12.  It’s not really a surprise after only 6 weeks but I wanted to periodically repeat the Tabata challenge.  My squat form is better and I feel stronger in my squats.  I have noticed some pain on the lateral portion of my hip where I would expect pain from a bursa.  The pain doesn’t limit my workout but takes a few rounds of the CrossFit warm-up to feel better.

Finally to my questions!  Should I change my programming and if I should in what way.  Should I be progressing faster?  Should I be worried about the hip pain?  Should I just go back to doing scaled WOD’s and forget the Start-up Guide?  Any other suggestions?

Thank you for any suggestions.

Scott

Posted: 13 November 2009 08:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Top Dawg
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2357
Joined  2009-06-05

It sounds like you are going about increasing your capacity in a fine way. I have asked about this a few times and it seems that the consensus here is it doesnt really matter how you incorporate it, as long as you do more of that given exercise. The most popular is probably just to work it into your warm up or to do mini sets through out the day.

The video will allow us to see if you are doing the squat correctly, which includes efficiency, which will increase your capacity alone.

Signature 

23/M/6’4”/222
Started crossfit 5/1/2009 265#‘s
“No matter whom you are you have weaknesses and Crossfit will shed light on those weaknesses, enabling you to work on them.” Me
“Mastroj is a tsunami on the Eastern Seaboard . . . ” TexasPatrick
Look me up on facebook facebook.com/mastroj

Posted: 19 November 2009 09:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Pack Member
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  136
Joined  2009-02-26

Gimpy moved the clips to the proper video forum.

http://www.crossfitbrandx.com/index.php/forums/viewthread/8736/

While I’m working on form, should I continue to do the squat focused workout and only move on to the scaled WOD’s when I reach the benchmark (tabata squats with 12 as the lowest reps) or should I start back into the scaled WOD’s and add squats as skill work?

Posted: 19 November 2009 10:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Top Dawg
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2357
Joined  2009-06-05

Continue with the wods and incorporate the squat into skill work. Your problems with the squat should be easily fixed, a couple main things is send your but back first and try to keep your knees behind your toes until you get below parallel. On the way up start up with your but first, but dont let your chest drop at all.

Signature 

23/M/6’4”/222
Started crossfit 5/1/2009 265#‘s
“No matter whom you are you have weaknesses and Crossfit will shed light on those weaknesses, enabling you to work on them.” Me
“Mastroj is a tsunami on the Eastern Seaboard . . . ” TexasPatrick
Look me up on facebook facebook.com/mastroj