Honest Coaching feeback for me please, thank you
Posted: 17 November 2009 01:18 PM   [ Ignore ]
Top Dawg
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1131
Joined  2008-05-23

Hi Coaches, I don’t have a CF coach near me so I was wondering if you could give me some feedback please?

I’m in a bit of a CrossFit bubble where I am, and hence in need of some outside perspective to help me get better at CF.

I keep reading about the ‘intent’ of certain WODs e.g Fran is ideally 3-5min or Angie should be heart ‘n’ lungs not grinding out reps etc

I would like to know if I’ve been doing WOD’s as Rx’d instead of chasing the ‘intended metabolic impact’ so to speak (based upon my times below)?

Fran (40kg) 6.15 (though today was 8.22)
Angie 17min
Cindy 21 rnds
Eva (1.5pood) 43.04
Helen (1.25pood) 8.51
Diane 8.30
Annie 6.43
Elizabeth 9.43 (40kg Sq Cl)
Nate (2pood) 12 rnds +

I have the feeling I may have been focusing on as Rx’d to my detriment. I feel a 5 minute Fran, 8.30 Helen, 25 Rnd Cindy, 15 rnds Nate etc are realistic goals.

Any constructive feedback is greatly appreciated, thank you

Signature 

GOALS 2014

Complete 100km Ultramarathon - under 12hrs - 30th Aug 2014

By July 1st 2014 complete
1 RM DL @ 185kg (Unknown)
DH PU 25 reps (13 reps)
KBsn 24kg 100 reps + in 5min (unknown)

Current condition in brackets as of 24/12/2013

Posted: 17 November 2009 02:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
Total Posts:  9876
Joined  2007-01-08
Pete - 17 November 2009 01:18 PM

Hi Coaches, I don’t have a CF coach near me so I was wondering if you could give me some feedback please?

I’m in a bit of a CrossFit bubble where I am, and hence in need of some outside perspective to help me get better at CF.

I keep reading about the ‘intent’ of certain WODs e.g Fran is ideally 3-5min or Angie should be heart ‘n’ lungs not grinding out reps etc

I would like to know if I’ve been doing WOD’s as Rx’d instead of chasing the ‘intended metabolic impact’ so to speak (based upon my times below)?

Fran (40kg) 6.15 (though today was 8.22)
Angie 17min
Cindy 21 rnds
Eva (1.5pood) 43.04
Helen (1.25pood) 8.51
Diane 8.30
Annie 6.43
Nate (2pood) 12 rnds +

I have the feeling I may have been focusing on as Rx’d to my detriment. I feel a 5 minute Fran, 8.30 Helen, 25 Rnd Cindy, 15 rnds Nate etc are realistic goals.

Any constructive feedback is greatly appreciated, thank you

I’m not exactly who you want to hear from, but yes, your scores are a smidge on the slogging side.
Not much, you’re real close to the “target zone” by my rough guesstimations.
You know about Fran, Cindy is a round or two higher for people at the upper levels. Helen is good and reflects your running background, which is where most of the time in Helen is made up. Diane is probably the worst number, it’s a Fran realm time domain workout or even shorter.

That’s my opinion for what it’s worth. Extremely interested to see if GD or Big D have other ideas.

Signature 

Craig Massey

“The point of CF is to get better at life.  Being unable to workout tomorrow because you were pigheaded today is not in line with our goals.”
Garddawg - 22 March 2009

“CrossFit is not dangerous.
Bad coaching is dangerous, poor movement is dangerous. Ego is dangerous.
CrossFit, properly scaled to the individual is the safest and most efficient program available for strength, conditioning and movement.”
BlueBugofJustice - 18 August 2009

Posted: 17 November 2009 02:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Top Dawg
Total Posts:  3327
Joined  2006-02-17

TBH I wouldn’t go nuts scaling too much - you are close to the money on these benchmarks.  However I’d want you to be hitting the occasional WOD (benchmark or not) scaled so that you can smash it full throttle and get some high end metcon too

Cheers, kempie

Signature 

Take a deep breath ... Now do it again!
http://www.crossfitnortheastengland.com

BX Coaching Gold - “your doing all the right stuff its just coming out all wrong. “
CFSB Dummie’s Playground

Posted: 17 November 2009 07:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Top Dawg
Joined  2008-05-23

Thank you for the feedback Metric and Kempie -

Sometimes its hard to know whether I’m getting the intended punishment from the WODs - Kempie thank you for suggesting I’m close to the intended time brackets for the WOD’s - makes me feel better for about a second before I realise the hard work needed to improve to those levels grin

Are there any other thoughts other coaches or trainers?

Thank you again!

Signature 

GOALS 2014

DH PU 25 reps (13 reps)

Posted: 17 November 2009 07:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Top Dawg
Total Posts:  2961
Joined  2008-04-08

I’m with Kempie.
You’re looking pretty close to being on track.
Like Kempie suggests, don’t be afraid to scale down every once in a while and crush yourself.

Signature 

28/m/6’2”/215/BF8.9%
CrossFit Birth: April 8, 2008 (BW 245)

“Performance is directly correlated with intensity. Intensity is directly correlated with discomfort.” -Coach Glassman
“Get Comfortable with Uncomfortable.” -Coach OPT

-||||———||||-
“Machines were invented to keep wankers off the barbells.” -Greg Everett

Posted: 17 November 2009 08:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Administrator
Total Posts:  14141
Joined  2004-06-18

Couple of quick thoughts.  Your bodyweight stuff is in the ball park.  I would really like to see these on vid to sign off on ROM but as stated they are in the respectable to very respectable range.  Your weighted stuff, not so much.  Whether it is a strength issue or a comfort under duress with weight issue can’t tell.  If the weighted WODs are with the RX’d weight and slow as they are I would scale reps not weight.  Diane, Elizabeth and Fran with the weighted portion being 12-9-6 and unweighted portion 21-15-9.  Then move to 15-12-9 and such.

Signature 

All of life’s problems can be solved by heavy deadlifts.

M/54/5’11”/190

Posted: 17 November 2009 10:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Total Posts:  8588
Joined  2004-07-08

Well not much more too say that hasn’t already been said. Increase your strength by lowering the reps. I would also like to see some vid. on some of your wods, this may help even more.

Signature 

In God we Trust all others we monitor

Posted: 18 November 2009 05:31 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Top Dawg
Total Posts:  3327
Joined  2006-02-17
Garddawg - 17 November 2009 08:21 PM

Couple of quick thoughts.  Your bodyweight stuff is in the ball park.  I would really like to see these on vid to sign off on ROM but as stated they are in the respectable to very respectable range.  Your weighted stuff, not so much.  Whether it is a strength issue or a comfort under duress with weight issue can’t tell.  If the weighted WODs are with the RX’d weight and slow as they are I would scale reps not weight.  Diane, Elizabeth and Fran with the weighted portion being 12-9-6 and unweighted portion 21-15-9.  Then move to 15-12-9 and such.

And that folks is why GD is the go to man - I should have seen this.  Certainly now I go back and open my eyes your lizzie and recent fran scores are a clear pointer to a strength limitation.  The weighted element with scaled reps at Rxed load combined with Rxed reps for gymnastic element will give you a great WOD.

Cheers, kempie

Signature 

Take a deep breath ... Now do it again!
http://www.crossfitnortheastengland.com

BX Coaching Gold - “your doing all the right stuff its just coming out all wrong. “
CFSB Dummie’s Playground

Posted: 18 November 2009 10:51 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Administrator
Joined  2007-01-08
kempie - 18 November 2009 05:31 AM

And that folks is why GD is the go to man - I should have seen this.  Certainly now I go back and open my eyes your lizzie and recent fran scores are a clear pointer to a strength limitation.  The weighted element with scaled reps at Rxed load combined with Rxed reps for gymnastic element will give you a great WOD.

Cheers, kempie

doh
Umm, oh I saw it, I just chose not to mention it.
No I didn’t believe me either.  blush

Signature 

Craig Massey

“The point of CF is to get better at life.  Being unable to workout tomorrow because you were pigheaded today is not in line with our goals.”
Garddawg - 22 March 2009

CrossFit, properly scaled to the individual is the safest and most efficient program available for strength, conditioning and movement.”

Posted: 18 November 2009 11:30 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Administrator
Total Posts:  14141
Joined  2004-06-18

Oh COME ON!  My advice to everyone “Get stronger”.  Hardly qualifies for advice anymore.

Signature 

All of life’s problems can be solved by heavy deadlifts.

M/54/5’11”/190

Posted: 18 November 2009 11:34 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Administrator
Joined  2007-01-08
Garddawg - 18 November 2009 11:30 AM

Oh COME ON!  My advice to everyone “Get stronger”.  Hardly qualifies for advice anymore.

I think Unforgibbon is rubbing off.

Signature 

Craig Massey

Garddawg - 22 March 2009

Posted: 18 November 2009 12:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Total Posts:  13313
Joined  2007-01-30
Metric - 18 November 2009 11:34 AM
Garddawg - 18 November 2009 11:30 AM

I think Unforgibbon is rubbing off.

Not nearly Eeyore sounding and too bombastic to be U (the silent killer . . .)

Signature 

The common denominator of success—- the secret of success of every man who has ever been successful—- lies in the fact that he formed the habit of doing things that failures don’t like to do.—Albert Grey

“Really Connor? Really?”—Jeff Martin

http://rantopedia.blogspot.com/ (my blog)
http://www.facebook.com/patrick.hoffman1

M-47/5’11”/180lbs

There’s a reason they don’t call it “Fight Gone Good”.

Posted: 18 November 2009 02:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Top Dawg
Joined  2008-05-23

Thank you Coach - great observation. I think the strength side to the WODS is lacking from ‘comfort under duress’ and strength, but more so comfort first, then strength.

I really like your suggestion about altering WODs - it makes total sense.

Will take it on board and observe what happens. Many thanks! grin

Signature 

GOALS 2014

DH PU 25 reps (13 reps)

Posted: 19 November 2009 09:45 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Top Dawg
Total Posts:  1391
Joined  2006-01-31

I would also have some foundational strength portion in your work out sessions.  Back squat, Deadlift, Press, Bench Press, Snatch, Clean, Pull-Ups (Dead hang) twith the MetCons following suit.

Posted: 19 November 2009 11:26 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Top Dawg
Joined  2008-05-23
gimpy - 19 November 2009 09:45 AM

I would also have some foundational strength portion in your work out sessions.  Back squat, Deadlift, Press, Bench Press, Snatch, Clean, Pull-Ups (Dead hang) twith the MetCons following suit.

Hi Gimpy, is that CFSB style?

Signature 

GOALS 2014

DH PU 25 reps (13 reps)

Posted: 19 November 2009 11:46 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Top Dawg
Total Posts:  1391
Joined  2006-01-31

It’s a get strong style.  CFSB is one such approach, and a great one at that.