subbing heavy bag in the wod?
Posted: 19 November 2009 01:12 PM   [ Ignore ]
Puppy Dawg
Rank
Total Posts:  5
Joined  2009-11-19

I don’t have a heavy bag yet, but I do have a speedbag. Does anyone have any ideas on what might be an appropriate substitution of punches on a heavy bag?

Posted: 20 November 2009 05:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Top Dawg
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7683
Joined  2004-08-09

Do you mean subbing speedbag for heavy bag? That I couldn’t say…

or subbing Heavy Bag in WOD’s components like running? On this we used to do something like 180 hard fast punches for a 400m Run sub. Scale lower or higher # of punches for lower or higher fitness level and stress punching form for beginners if you training someone.

You can also sub sprawls in for pull ups, push ups etc.

Browse through the old topics. Jason (aka Lucky Dawg) uses punches in many of his crosspit workouts that are adapted from existing WOD as well as ones he created “from scratch.”

Signature 

We have too many heroes lost and not enough workout days to commemorate them. I think it’s fitting to always think of the men and women in service, whether military or peace officers and public safety, as we do our workouts. A bit of motivation to throw a little of our sweat and maybe a drop of blood on the floor in their honor.

http://laurarcrossfit.blogspot.com

There is no substitute for good coaching.

Posted: 20 November 2009 05:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Puppy Dawg
Rank
Joined  2009-11-19

Thanks for the ideas Laura. I’m open to whatever people think would be the best substitution, but I wasn’t sure if I could fit my speedbag in a workout and just double the punches or something like that?

Posted: 23 November 2009 10:02 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Top Dawg
Joined  2004-08-09
Josiah Ertz - 20 November 2009 05:32 PM

Thanks for the ideas Laura. I’m open to whatever people think would be the best substitution, but I wasn’t sure if I could fit my speedbag in a workout and just double the punches or something like that?

If you can make it kick your butt metabolically…probably. I’ve never been good at speedbag so I couldn’t say if it’s comparable, but punching a heavybag is more realistic than an speedbag punch I think as you put more of your whole body into the bag? I’ll have to defer to the fighting coaches and trainers on this one.

I would probably sub something like double unders or sprawls, personally. But that’s just me.

Signature 

We have too many heroes lost and not enough workout days to commemorate them. I think it’s fitting to always think of the men and women in service, whether military or peace officers and public safety, as we do our workouts. A bit of motivation to throw a little of our sweat and maybe a drop of blood on the floor in their honor.

Posted: 23 November 2009 02:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Puppy Dawg
Rank
Joined  2009-11-19

Laura: If it’s 35 heavy bag punches, would you reccomend the same number of double unders, or sprawls, or something like 25?

Posted: 23 November 2009 03:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Top Dawg
Joined  2004-08-09

For subbing for punches I would maybe double it or make it timed. Like as many double unders as you can do in 30 seconds to a minute.

Signature 

Posted: 23 November 2009 07:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Puppy Dawg
Rank
Joined  2009-11-19

Okay, thanks!