1 of 15
Testimonials for CrossFit
Posted: 23 August 2004 02:34 AM   [ Ignore ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  14119
Joined  2004-06-18

Okay it’s time for some shameless plugs.  Tell everyone how much and why you like Crossfit, how much you have improved, or your “best” of story.

Signature 

All of life’s problems can be solved by heavy deadlifts.

M/54/5’11”/190

Posted: 23 August 2004 02:38 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
Joined  2004-06-18

Okay I’ll start

I posted this to the CrossFit site last week:
So today I turned 45 and have been on Crossfit for about 8 months. Before I tell you about my progress I should probably tell you where I started. I have had numerous injuries over the years. I injured my knee several years ago and even after surgery I have been unable to run hard on it. I hurt my back in ‘91 in a rodeo and have been unable to do deadlifts since. My right shoulder was dislocated and my left one separated numerous times. Overhead movements were painful. Consequently, when doing pull-ups I counted any significant upward movement of my body as a pull-up. Oh, to round this all out I have asthma.

Having started with all of that here are some of the things CrossFit has allowed me to accomplish. I have not been able to run under a seven-minute mile in ten years, I ran a 6:20 mile last week. My goal is under 6:00 by the end of the year. I have finished a +2 Chelsea(17 squats,12 pushups, 7 pullups every minute for 30 minutes). When I started deadlifting on CrossFit simply using the bar hurt my back for days. A few weeks ago I pulled 345. I recently did Diane in 9:15(alternating 225 pound deadlifts with handstand pushups for sets of 21,15,9). No problems in my back. I squatted 315. Pull-ups I did 26 a few weeks ago. Goes without saying they are CrossFit pull-ups, still trying for thirty. All of this is good, but more importantly I am stronger and more capable in my field than I was 8 months ago. I can spar longer, punch and kick harder, shove bigger guys around I keep saying at 45 I should at best be maintaining not getting bigger, stronger, and faster.

I started CrossFit at a bodyweight of 164, I am up to 170 same body fat percentage. Given the results I have had I think Ill start trying the diet recommendations. Coach and Lauren thanks for all you do.

Signature 

M/54/5’11”/190

Posted: 23 August 2004 06:02 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
Total Posts:  5197
Joined  2004-06-22

After having shoulder shurgery last January I started really being able to rehab it around March. I could not do a single pull up and push ups made me scream.  I began Crossfit in April and started slowly- so I would not reinjure my shoulder.  Now (August) I can do eight good pullups, over a hundred of push ups (done in sets and rotations) bar dips down to about halfway.
I can climb the ropes, do push presses, handstand pushups, farmers walk etc. All shoulder intensive without a problem.

Also with running I have noticed my legs still have spring toward the end of the run- I do not get muscle tired like I used to, nor do I feel out of breath.  Definately an overall fitness improvement.

Signature 

“No man who refuses to bear arms in defense of his nation can give a sound reason why he should be allowed to live in a free country”  T. Roosevelt

“The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who are not.”  Thomas Jefferson”

“History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or the timid” - Gen Eisenhower.

Posted: 24 August 2004 04:07 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
Joined  2004-06-18

Bump

Signature 

M/54/5’11”/190

Posted: 28 August 2004 09:49 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Total Posts:  8575
Joined  2004-07-08

OK, Even though I have not attended a full Crossfit class, I have been working with the rings. And with just that I have noticed my shoulder getting much stronger, a lot less soreness and painess. I will most definitely continue to add more Crossfit training. Thanks Jeff.

Signature 

In God we Trust all others we monitor

Posted: 28 August 2004 09:59 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Pack Member
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  139
Joined  2004-08-21

I still have not lost any weight, but both Jeff and Mikki have said that they can see a difference in my body shape. I feel much better now, and have noticed that my arms and chest are getting bigger.  :D I still can not do a non-jumping pull up but lifting my body weight is not all the easy.

Signature 

I am Jack’s complete lack of surprise for what Lucky will do to me next.
I once droped a phone from 30ft in the air, it did not work after that. Who’s next?

Posted: 24 September 2004 02:45 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Top Dawg
Total Posts:  7683
Joined  2004-08-09

oooh shameless self promotion. I think I did the crossfit plug earlier in “What is crossfit.”

I was reading my thread “My first crossfit class” and notice a difference between two of my posts in that thread.

Aug 18, my second crossfit workout, I couldn’t do a tabata protocol of 20 on/10 off pushups for 8 rounds (I quit after 3 rounds).

I can do 100 pushups now. The other day I did 20, 20,20, 10,10,10,10 when I did my modified angie. I think I’ll do that tabata routine again and see what I can do.

I was pleased to hear the guys saying I have improved on my burpees output and form while we did our warmup at KB class the other day. They said they could tell I was working out more. w00t! High praise indeed!

Signature 

We have too many heroes lost and not enough workout days to commemorate them. I think it’s fitting to always think of the men and women in service, whether military or peace officers and public safety, as we do our workouts. A bit of motivation to throw a little of our sweat and maybe a drop of blood on the floor in their honor.

http://laurarcrossfit.blogspot.com

There is no substitute for good coaching.

Posted: 24 September 2004 06:30 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Big Dawg
RankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  442
Joined  2004-08-17

Last year I played football with all my friends at school and I always wanted to be the quarterback but I couldn’t throw the ball far enough or fast enough to play the posistion. Since Crossfit I can throw the ball farther than anyone who plays with us and I’m makeing completions all over the place.

Posted: 25 September 2004 10:04 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Boxer
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  632
Joined  2004-06-24

Ive been reading alot about the physical aspects of Crossfit, which to anyone who has ever participated, or even seen, go without saying.  But I just wanted to add that crossfit has a dramatic mental impact too.  For several years I have lifted weights, and I always had the drive to get stronger ( i.e. lift more), but I never had the drive to be “fit” that Crossfit has instilled in me.  As an example (but not limited to), I never really watched what I ate (for better or worse… I was born with the metabolism of a jackrabbit), but since Crossfit (and part of this can be attributed to BrandX in general) I have realized that a persons output level is directly proportional to their input level (if you eat bad…you will perform poorly when really challenged).  For me at least, it has also given me extra energy during workouts and the rest of the day in general. 

just wondering if anyone else has noticed this in themselves…

Signature 

Im always thinking one step ahead…like a carpenter building stairs.

Patience, n.—A minor form of despair, disguised as a virtue.

Posted: 25 September 2004 11:56 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Pack Member
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  273
Joined  2004-07-02

I’ve noticed the same connection between diet and performance. For that reason I usually don’t eat in the morning (which actually isn’t a good idea!) unless there is something high in protein. Forget the bowl of cereal…last time I did that I almost lost it when running! :oops: My favorite food to have before I workout is those Detour protein bars. But at $3 a pop, sometimes I decide not to eat at all!

Oh, almost forgot, I try to drink as much water as possible before I workout. If I don’t, I usually end up with a mouth full of cotton in the first five minutes.

Signature 

John

"It is only the warlike power of a civilized people that can give peace to the world."—Theodore Roosevelt

Posted: 25 September 2004 12:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Pack Member
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2004-08-21

I can tell when I am eating well. I have better workouts when I eat good stuff. This week however has been a bad one for me. I had WAY to many carbs, and just did not eat enough fruit and veggies. I was really in bad shape this morning during the running part of CF. I did finish the whole workout, but it was tough, and it took me a bit to recover. Starting tomorrow I am really back on track with cavefood.

Signature 

I once droped a phone from 30ft in the air, it did not work after that. Who’s next?

Posted: 27 September 2004 12:19 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Boxer
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  689
Joined  2004-09-18

You made some good points there Tyler.  I myself have noticed a big change in performance with my food and doing Crossfit.  For the last year, I have been eating everything that is all natural and that means basically fruits, veggies, and meat.  And I eat peanuts and Pistachios like they are going ut of style and it has improved performance like ten-fold.  I eat carbs but I get it from rice cause that is a main staple for me but it doesn’t deter my workouts at all.

Signature 

To master others is strength; to master yourself is true power.
              Lao Tzu

Posted: 27 September 2004 01:05 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Pack Member
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2004-08-21

I have been eating a lot of Walnuts, Almonds, and sunflower seeds lately. I find that and a banana good in the mornings. I snack on the nuts throughout the morning hours as I work.

Signature 

Posted: 07 October 2004 08:54 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Total Posts:  8575
Joined  2004-07-08

I will attempt another thought now that Brand x has been doing Cross Fit for a few months: WHAT IS CROSS FIT ? Well I could just let Sifu Jeff explain it, he is a better reference then Cross Fit.com What a GREAT addition to our other disciplins. I see how peoples strengths improve quantity and quality. Myself I have strenghten my right shoulder much faster using some of the Cross Fit exercises, then any other method of exercised used in the past, and I have used a lot. I have also noticed how much stronger our Krav classess have been do to Cross Fit. or maybe because we yell a lot.  :D

Signature 

In God we Trust all others we monitor

Posted: 07 November 2004 04:53 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Big Dawg
RankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  442
Joined  2004-08-17

I am getting faster because of crossfit I ran a 6:25 mile my best by 11 seconds. 7th best in the whole school. Pushups 54 10th best in the whole school. sit ups 66 tie for 10th in one minute. V sit 3rd best in the school 8 1/2 inches

Posted: 09 November 2004 07:01 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Top Dawg
Total Posts:  7683
Joined  2004-08-09

Alrighty then. Time for another pep talk. From me, to me.

3 months doing crossfit Sat and Mon at Brand X + as many as I can from the WOD on Crossfit.com.

I still can’t do a pullup. YET. (I am working this critical word into my vocab GD)
I still can’t climb the knotted rope. YET.
I can do about 10 regular pushups in a row (when I’m fresh). I’m still doing knee pushups in my workouts.

Burpees! Yay!

The biggest improvement I have noticed is in my stamina and strength. I can do many more pushups, lunges, running laps etc than I could when I started. I couldn’t even keep up with the clock on chelsea on Sept 20th. I kept up (with ring rows for pullups) this past Saturday (Mind if I post that in EVERY thread on the forum?)

I still take longer than most everyone to do the workouts that are for time, but I have started mixing in the pack dawg subs in the routines instead of the puppy subs.

Next stop on the crossfit train: Pullups for real, knotted rope climb, bar dips.

Signature 

We have too many heroes lost and not enough workout days to commemorate them. I think it’s fitting to always think of the men and women in service, whether military or peace officers and public safety, as we do our workouts. A bit of motivation to throw a little of our sweat and maybe a drop of blood on the floor in their honor.

http://laurarcrossfit.blogspot.com

There is no substitute for good coaching.

1 of 15

‹‹ Chelsea      My first Crossfit Class ››