slog or quick WOD
Posted: 06 January 2010 03:41 PM   [ Ignore ]
Top Dawg
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  803
Joined  2009-09-29

today’s wod was 50 wall balls with 20 # and 25 pull ups for 5 rounds.  I scaled it to the PACK which was 35 wall balls and 15 pull ups.  i did it in 12:58 and it was tough.  the last couple sets of pullups were broken to 10 and 5 and the last 3 or 4 sets of wallballs were broken. 
my question is should i have slogged through the Rx wod or is it ok to get ass kicked for 13 minutes.  I am sure i could have finished Rx but it would have been severely broken up and around 30 minutes prob.

Signature 

M/49/6’/175   “Most days i am afraid to find out what the WOD is”
http://www.facebook.com/editalbum.php?new=1#!/profile.php?ref=profile&id=1009778212

Posted: 06 January 2010 04:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Top Dawg
Total Posts:  2357
Joined  2009-06-05

You have been crossfitting for long enough now to play with the scaling yourself (in my opinion). You dont need to stick to pack,if you want scale between pack and big dogs if there is no porch or go for the big dog. Im not saying you should go up in scaling, I havent looked at your times for other wods. What I am saying is that you should play with scaling, every now and then do a big dog workout and see how you fair. If you are feeling sore one day it is fine to scale back just increase the intensity. Remember you want to target all metabolic pathways, from 1.5 min to 45 min and so on. As long as you are varying the time it takes to complete an intense wod you will see increases. For todays wod your time was good, doing it as a big dog may have missed the desired point of the wod but that doesnt make it wrong or useless just different from the wods intentions.

Keep it up.

Signature 

23/M/6’4”/222
Started crossfit 5/1/2009 265#‘s
“No matter whom you are you have weaknesses and Crossfit will shed light on those weaknesses, enabling you to work on them.” Me
“Mastroj is a tsunami on the Eastern Seaboard . . . ” TexasPatrick
Look me up on facebook facebook.com/mastroj

Posted: 06 January 2010 04:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
Total Posts:  13875
Joined  2004-06-18

I’ll give a couple of examples.  The first is a longtime client who wants to finish everything as Rx’d.  We will call her Mary IT worker.  Every WOD is a slog.  Mary hates to be uncomfortable and loves to lift heavy.  So Mary is quite happy to do everything as rx’d as it involves plenty of standing around, a high heart rate scares her.  On the other side we have the metcon queen we will call Sally Soccer Mom.  Sally doesn’t want to lift heavy as it will make her “big”, and lifting heavy scares her.  Consequently, she drives herself through every workout like a demon with the lightest weight possible and scaled reps as well.  Mary has been training for 5 years and still can’t go under 5:00 for Fran.  Sally has been training just as long has a 3:00 Fran with scaled pull ups and a 15# bar.

Both are better off than if they were going to the local globo gym, neither are where they could or should be. 

My advice to folks who are serious about their fitness is to make sure that each week you explore that which frightens.  If you have already done a couple wods this week where you were on fire, then yes it might have been appropriate to slow down and finish as Rx’d.  On the other hand if you have slogged through a couple wods this week then its time to suck it up and make it a sprint.

Signature 

All of life’s problems can be solved by heavy deadlifts.

M/54/5’11”/190

Posted: 06 January 2010 05:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Top Dawg
Total Posts:  7683
Joined  2004-08-09

heeeey…... rolleyes I resemble some of those remarks!

Signature 

We have too many heroes lost and not enough workout days to commemorate them. I think it’s fitting to always think of the men and women in service, whether military or peace officers and public safety, as we do our workouts. A bit of motivation to throw a little of our sweat and maybe a drop of blood on the floor in their honor.

http://laurarcrossfit.blogspot.com

There is no substitute for good coaching.

Posted: 06 January 2010 05:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Administrator
Total Posts:  9609
Joined  2007-01-08
LauraR - 06 January 2010 05:37 PM

You’re the Sally Soccer Mom one, right?

Signature 

Craig Massey

“The point of CF is to get better at life.  Being unable to workout tomorrow because you were pigheaded today is not in line with our goals.”
Garddawg - 22 March 2009

“CrossFit is not dangerous.
Bad coaching is dangerous, poor movement is dangerous. Ego is dangerous.
CrossFit, properly scaled to the individual is the safest and most efficient program available for strength, conditioning and movement.”
BlueBugofJustice - 18 August 2009

Posted: 06 January 2010 05:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Top Dawg
Joined  2004-08-09

As. If.

/hijack

Signature 

We have too many heroes lost and not enough workout days to commemorate them. I think it’s fitting to always think of the men and women in service, whether military or peace officers and public safety, as we do our workouts. A bit of motivation to throw a little of our sweat and maybe a drop of blood on the floor in their honor.

Posted: 06 January 2010 06:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Administrator
Total Posts:  13875
Joined  2004-06-18

Yes you do and we miss you.

Signature 

All of life’s problems can be solved by heavy deadlifts.

M/54/5’11”/190

Posted: 06 January 2010 06:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Total Posts:  13178
Joined  2007-01-30
Metric - 06 January 2010 05:44 PM
LauraR - 06 January 2010 05:37 PM

You’re the Sally Soccer Mom one, right?

Wait . . . did GD . . . . oooooh.

Signature 

The common denominator of success—- the secret of success of every man who has ever been successful—- lies in the fact that he formed the habit of doing things that failures don’t like to do.—Albert Grey

“Really Connor? Really?”—Jeff Martin

http://rantopedia.blogspot.com/ (my blog)
http://www.facebook.com/patrick.hoffman1

M-47/5’11”/180lbs

There’s a reason they don’t call it “Fight Gone Good”.

Posted: 06 January 2010 06:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Top Dawg
Joined  2004-08-09

Thank you..I miss you all, too.

Signature 

Posted: 07 January 2010 02:34 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Top Dawg
Total Posts:  803
Joined  2009-09-29
Garddawg - 06 January 2010 04:21 PM

I’ll give a couple of examples.  The first is a longtime client who wants to finish everything as Rx’d.  We will call her Mary IT worker.  Every WOD is a slog.  Mary hates to be uncomfortable and loves to lift heavy.  So Mary is quite happy to do everything as rx’d as it involves plenty of standing around, a high heart rate scares her.  On the other side we have the metcon queen we will call Sally Soccer Mom.  Sally doesn’t want to lift heavy as it will make her “big”, and lifting heavy scares her.  Consequently, she drives herself through every workout like a demon with the lightest weight possible and scaled reps as well.  Mary has been training for 5 years and still can’t go under 5:00 for Fran.  Sally has been training just as long has a 3:00 Fran with scaled pull ups and a 15# bar.

Both are better off than if they were going to the local globo gym, neither are where they could or should be. 

My advice to folks who are serious about their fitness is to make sure that each week you explore that which frightens.  If you have already done a couple wods this week where you were on fire, then yes it might have been appropriate to slow down and finish as Rx’d.  On the other hand if you have slogged through a couple wods this week then its time to suck it up and make it a sprint.

thanks GD….my wallball scaling was perfect i think.  was a killer…couldn’t catch breath…having to break up the wallshots did not reduce my metcon.  i don’t think i have slogged through a workout yet.  BUT, i was a little overwhelmed with the Rx when i read it and did not think it was going to have a good outcome especially after the last week of upper body stuff.  Thanks again…really appreciate the personal support.

Signature 

M/49/6’/175   “Most days i am afraid to find out what the WOD is”
http://www.facebook.com/editalbum.php?new=1#!/profile.php?ref=profile&id=1009778212

Posted: 07 January 2010 12:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Total Posts:  8463
Joined  2004-07-08
enginecap - 06 January 2010 03:41 PM

today’s wod was 50 wall balls with 20 # and 25 pull ups for 5 rounds.  I scaled it to the PACK which was 35 wall balls and 15 pull ups.  i did it in 12:58 and it was tough.  the last couple sets of pullups were broken to 10 and 5 and the last 3 or 4 sets of wallballs were broken. 
my question is should i have slogged through the Rx wod or is it ok to get ass kicked for 13 minutes.  I am sure i could have finished Rx but it would have been severely broken up and around 30 minutes prob.

GD had a great overall answer to this.

I would say, you did fine on the scaling part on that WOD. The answer for the title is: BOTH!

Signature 

In God we Trust all others we monitor