RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7683
Joined  2004-08-09

Elizabeth

21-15-9 reps of:
Clean 135 pounds
Ring dips

Post time to comments.

In my experience the hope that a powerclean will evolve to the squat clean as load increases does not pan out. What we get instead is failed powercleans with the athlete frustrated and seemingly unable to get under. From the stalled out powerclean we have to start over and teach the hip drop sans load. The powerclean bypasses the essence, challenge, and beauty of the clean which is the dramatic reversal of hip direction. Learning to instantaneously release and drop the hip is a skill that needs to be learned and practiced beginning with light loads and trained over years to heavier loads. So..it is my recommendation that the moves be viewed as distinct. I believe that Coach Burgener’s view is that if the squat is just not there then we’ve little choice but to powerclean. He’s right, but to that I’d add, “learn to squat and now!”

I recommend squat cleaning as the default clean and powercleaning only when asked and the purpose of the move is upper-body development.

Posted by Coach at August 2, 2005 07:22 AM

Signature 

We have too many heroes lost and not enough workout days to commemorate them. I think it’s fitting to always think of the men and women in service, whether military or peace officers and public safety, as we do our workouts. A bit of motivation to throw a little of our sweat and maybe a drop of blood on the floor in their honor.

http://laurarcrossfit.blogspot.com

There is no substitute for good coaching.

Posted: 02 August 2005 11:42 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Top Dawg
Joined  2004-08-09

I think I’ll modify to:

75# clean
Bar dips

Maybe work a little on Ring dips but I can’t get near the depth on rings as I an on the bar dips. I can steady myself, though.

Signature 

We have too many heroes lost and not enough workout days to commemorate them. I think it’s fitting to always think of the men and women in service, whether military or peace officers and public safety, as we do our workouts. A bit of motivation to throw a little of our sweat and maybe a drop of blood on the floor in their honor.

Posted: 02 August 2005 12:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Top Dawg
Joined  2004-08-09

21 @ 75 Power cleans (broken - fail on 13th rep)
7, 6, 4, 4 bar dips
@13:13

15 @65 Power cleans (broken)
9, 4, 2 bar dips
@~24:30

9 @65 Power cleans (broken)
5, 4 bar dips
@29:20

75# power cleans were a deadlift then squat to floor for clean. Too heavy for this workout but able to keep pretty good form.

heh - talking to myself again.
Best dips so far with many more reps per set than I have been able to do to date.

Signature 

Posted: 02 August 2005 02:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Big Dawg
RankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  472
Joined  2004-08-24

I did 3 bars fo eat tongith:

DL: 225
Bench:225
Clean: 95 :oops:

7:17 for 5 sets

somehow that doesn’t seem right…

Signature 

If it looks like a bear…and grumbles like a bear…it must be a BEAR!

Posted: 02 August 2005 03:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Boxer
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  632
Joined  2004-06-24

I wasnt aware that there was an added importance placed on squat cleans.  I usually power clean with lighter loads but generally squat clean with heavier loads out of neccesity(i.e. not being able to accelerate the load up as much).  GD (or anyone that knows the answer), Should I be doing squat cleans 100% of the time?  (am I taking the quote to mean the right thing?)

Signature 

Im always thinking one step ahead…like a carpenter building stairs.

Patience, n.—A minor form of despair, disguised as a virtue.

Posted: 02 August 2005 11:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Top Dawg
Joined  2004-08-09

HH, I got the impression Coach wants us to do squat cleans unless specifically working on upperbody strength. One thing is for sure, we hardly ever do power cleans and I am still able to power clean a decent amount, so that upper body strength is getting worked in other stuff.

I actually thought the opposite of what Coach in that I thought power cleans were the default except I always did a squat clean because it’s just ingrained in me to squat now. Go figure.

Signature 

Posted: 03 August 2005 01:52 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Administrator
Total Posts:  14077
Joined  2004-06-18

Too sore from the 30 Muscle ups to do this one so I did:
10 rounds of:
135# Deadlifts X 10
Push ups X 15
Time about 10:40

Signature 

All of life’s problems can be solved by heavy deadlifts.

M/54/5’11”/190