Posted: 13 August 2005 04:02 AM   [ Ignore ]
Top Dawg
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7683
Joined  2004-08-09

Saturday 050813
Rest Day

Honor20Guard2020Casket-th.jpg

August 13, 1999, six years ago today, Greenville Sheriff’s Deputy Marcus Whitfeld was shot and killed in the line of duty. Those lost in the fight for decency and righteousness inspire honor and greatness in those who remain. Marcus will live forever in the hearts and hopes of the men and women who workout here.

Marcus Whitfield

————————————————————————————————————————

Fire-team push-ups [video]

Signature 

We have too many heroes lost and not enough workout days to commemorate them. I think it’s fitting to always think of the men and women in service, whether military or peace officers and public safety, as we do our workouts. A bit of motivation to throw a little of our sweat and maybe a drop of blood on the floor in their honor.

http://laurarcrossfit.blogspot.com

There is no substitute for good coaching.

Posted: 13 August 2005 04:05 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Top Dawg
Joined  2004-08-09

Brand X workout today:

Jonesworthy
6 rounds of the triplet - squats, kb swing, pull up - with the reps in the following order
80-64-50-32-16-8 squats
40-32-25-16- 8-4 kb swings (i used 16kg kbell)
20-16-12- 8- 4-2 pull ups (I did singles from a box)

approx 37 minutes for me.

Pack: 5 rounds starting with 64 squats
Puppies: 4 rounds starting with 50 squats
buttercups: 4 rounds run 200m, 15 squats, 10 kb swings

Also I almost got 2 kipped pull ups to day. smile Will keep trying.

Signature 

We have too many heroes lost and not enough workout days to commemorate them. I think it’s fitting to always think of the men and women in service, whether military or peace officers and public safety, as we do our workouts. A bit of motivation to throw a little of our sweat and maybe a drop of blood on the floor in their honor.

Posted: 13 August 2005 06:23 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Mutt
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  45
Joined  2005-08-12

Jonesworthy:

6 Rounds - 19:50 (the clock said 20:01 but I’m subtracting the time it took me to walk from the pull-up bar to the white erase board where the timer was located raspberry )

KBs were variable weights - I just grabbed what was available. Went a little heavier on the last set, just to see what it would be like. It was cool.
All pull-up sets were unbroken
All but the first set of squats were unbroken (took a half-sec to get my balance and some air) on the first round.

Cool-down - practiced muscle-ups. Ended up doing 21 ring dips (5-5-5-6)
Practiced my OHS with the dowel. Derek gave me some great pointers on form. I still have a long way to go. This month’s Crossfit Journal is a real-eye opener on the squat, BTW.

Had a great time, as usual. Brand X and CF are awesome!

Posted: 14 August 2005 11:07 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Hound
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  94
Joined  2005-05-01

What SB so kindly didn’t mention is that I could only explain the techniques not demonstrate them, because I was thrashed with a capital MF “T.”

CrossFit most definitely prepares you for the GPP of military life and training.  The opposite however, is certainly not true.  I spent three weeks jumping on and off trucks, running up and down hills in full gear, getting minimal sleep, eating poorly, etc. etc. and yet was able to continue functioning as well as all and better than most of my peers… however…. My return to BrandX and my first experience with “Jonesworthy” went… hmmm… poorly.  I made it through the first round relatively intact, but Pukie’s cousin “Belchy” showed up with the first rep of squats in all the following sets.  My strict pull-ups seem to have gotten a little better, but I think that’s just do to dropping about 5 lbs, because my kips have lost a couple reps.  The thing getting to me today though, is the DOMS.  I haven’t felt a workout like this in months!  I think it’s a combination of lack of exercise and lousy diet, both of which I will try to remedy these next couple of weeks while I’m on leave.

I’ll be up in Seattle next weekend checking out CF North and Brian Mulvaney’s Carport Gang, but I’ll be back at BrandX on the 27th for one more session before I fly over to establish yet another CF Iraq

Derek

Posted: 14 August 2005 11:20 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Top Dawg
Joined  2004-08-09

Derek, for some reason I am really feeling the jonesworthy workout as well. Also the monday workout killed me for about 4 days.

My arms are really sore, probably from either trying to get 2 kipped pull ups or from going too heavy on the kb swings.

We should give you a send off on your last saturday at Brand X. Maybe have lunch somewhere in Ramona.

Gonna miss ya.

Signature 

Posted: 14 August 2005 02:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Mutt
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  45
Joined  2005-08-12

Derek,

You did a great job, trashed or no, and I really appreciate it. Your advice helped make some things click that have been eluding me for a while now. Many thanks on that.

Also, deep thanks for fighting the good fight. My admiration for the warriors giving it all up so I can have the freedom to practice Crossfit, among other things, in this great land grows every day. Where would be without our brave fighting men and women?

Just heard from my parents this weekend about a family friend in the Green Berets who was injured in a bombing on Friday (had shrapnel in his head from it and was flown to Germany for surgery - they think he’s going to pull through, though). Just drives home again how the best and the brightest are out there risking it all to stop a really evil, twisted enemy. My prayers are going out for you and all the soldiers fighting in this epic struggle.

Posted: 15 August 2005 02:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Total Posts:  4864
Joined  2004-08-27

Derek’s my hero.

Signature 

I hate burpees
I hate box jumps